Idealist Accidentalism: Exploring the Mystery

• Thread starter RexAllen
  • Start date
In summary, "Idealist accidentalism" refers to the view that what exists is mental and that there is no underlying process that explains or governs this existence. This view rejects the idea of positing orderly underlying processes to explain the order of our experiences, as it believes this is just transferring the mystery to a new location. It also raises the question of why we would be so lucky to have our conscious experiences generated by processes that give us correct knowledge. The only alternative to a rule-based explanation of reality is accidentalism, which questions whether things can happen accidentally and come into existence without a purpose. Idealism favors a non-coincidence, non-accidental state of existence.
RexAllen
By "idealist" I'm referring to metaphysical idealism...that what fundamentally exists is mental, not physical. And by mental I mean either consciousness or existing only as an aspect of consciousness. For example, there is my conscious experience of a dream, and then there are the things that appear in my dreams that I am conscious of...houses and chairs and trees and people. Both categories of things are mental. The trees that appear in my dreams only exist as an aspect of the dream.

And by "accidentalism" I mean the theory that nothing that exists or occurs is caused. There is nothing that connects or controls the flow of events. The only rule is that there are no rules to appeal to.

So "idealist accidentalism"...the view that what exists is mental, and that there is no underlying process that explains or governs this existence.

Explaining the order of our experience by positing the existence of orderly underlying processes (as with reductive physicalism, for example) is just begging the question...because then what explains the order of those underlying processes?

The total amount of mystery was conserved. We just transferred the mystery to a new location - from our conscious experience to a hypothetical underlying process. We are unwilling to accept that our experiences "just are" orderly, so instead we appeal to an underlying process which "just is" orderly. "Ordinatio Ex Machina".

Not only that, but this reductionist approach raises the question of why we would be so lucky as to have our conscious experiences generated by underlying processes that "cause" us to have correct knowledge of those very processes.

We can only know what the underlying process causes us to know. Thus, the tendency to believe true things can't be a special feature of humans. Rather, it would be a special feature of the process that underlies human experience.

Note that this is a problem with any rule-based explanation of reality, not just with reductive physicalism and the like.

But the only alternative to a rule-based explanation of reality is accidentalism, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can things happen like that, accidentally? And come in existence, cough..., accidentally? You are on your own on these type of questions, they don't even belong to philosophy. Decide for yourself what is more naive - coincidence(multiverse, eternally cyclic universe, etc.) or non-coincidence.

If idealisim is true, it favors a non-coincidence, non-accidental state of existence.(at this point of our understanding at least)

1. What is Idealist Accidentalism?

Idealist Accidentalism is a philosophical and scientific concept that suggests the universe and all of its events are the result of random chance rather than a predetermined plan or purpose.

2. How does Idealist Accidentalism differ from other theories of existence?

Idealist Accidentalism differs from other theories, such as determinism or creationism, in that it does not propose any underlying order or intention behind the universe. Instead, it sees the universe as a series of random events that have led to the current state of existence.

3. What evidence supports the theory of Idealist Accidentalism?

The theory of Idealist Accidentalism is largely based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level as unpredictable and random. Additionally, the lack of a definitive answer to the question of the universe's origins also supports the idea of accidentalism.

4. What implications does Idealist Accidentalism have for human existence?

Idealist Accidentalism suggests that there is no inherent purpose or meaning to human existence, as it is simply a result of random chance. This can be a daunting concept for some, but it also allows for the freedom to create our own meaning and purpose in life.

5. Can the theory of Idealist Accidentalism be proven or disproven?

As with any philosophical or scientific theory, Idealist Accidentalism cannot be definitively proven or disproven. It is a way of understanding the universe and existence, but it is ultimately a matter of personal belief and interpretation.