How to Impress Your Friends with Opposite Circular Hand Movements

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a trick where one has to make circular hand movements in opposite directions, with the help of a French song called "PADAM". People share their struggles and tricks to successfully do the trick. Another trick is also mentioned where one has to alternate between sticking out their pinky and thumb on their fists. Some people can do it easily while others struggle, possibly due to hand independence from playing instruments. The conversation ends with someone attempting to do the trick while standing on one foot, closing one eye, and whistling.
marlon
Can you guys do this trick ?

http://www.16plus.be/node/2718

Ok, the texts are in Dutch but they are not important. The opposite circular hand movement is what counts.

Enjoy

marlon

ps music is a French song called "PADAM" sung by Edith Piaf (this is for you tribdog)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can do it some then both hands start going the same way...:grumpy:

Nope, I can't :cry:

I can do it, if I can keep my fingers out of my ears with that singing going on.

That's one of my favorites.

lol @ the song

I swear, I try to start it, but my brain won't let my fingers do it. For a split second I will think I am doing it, but then realize both fingers are going the same way.. aargh!

There's a whole category of these tricks. Here's another good one:

Hold your two fists out in front of you. On your left hand, stick out your pinky finger, and on your right hand, stick out your thumb. So, you would see:

-O -O

(where O denotes your fist, and - denotes a digit)

Then, you switch: on your left hand, stick out your thumb, and on your right hand your pinky:

O- O-

and then alternate back and forth.

-O -O
O- O-
-O -O
O- O-

the secret is to do one revolution at a time then pause. reduce the length of the pause as you get better. It also helps if you stand on one foot and close the opposite eye and whistle. (I made that up cause it makes me laugh to think someone might try it)

I can do it, but then again I can play guitar and drums (through not at the same time) and have a pretty good degree of hand independence. If you can play well-timed paradiddles across a span of drums, cymbals, you know what I mean.

turbo-1 said:
I can do it, but then again I can play guitar and drums (through not at the same time) and have a pretty good degree of hand independence. If you can play well-timed paradiddles across a span of drums, cymbals, you know what I mean.

I too play drums, I've played for something like 8 years but still struggled to do this although it seems increadibly easy watching it, too bad it isnt...

tribdog said:
I can do it, if I can keep my fingers out of my ears with that singing going on.
ooh man that hurts...i tried to do you a favour here and you just spit it back into my f***ing face...THANKS MAN

marlon

tribdog said:
the secret is to do one revolution at a time then pause.
My trick is to make sure that my fingers are going in opposite directions at the top of the loop. The rest takes care of itself.

jimmysnyder said:
My trick is to make sure that my fingers are going in opposite directions at the top of the loop. The rest takes care of itself.
indeed, that's how i do it myself...

marlon

Hurkyl said:
There's a whole category of these tricks. Here's another good one:

Hold your two fists out in front of you. On your left hand, stick out your pinky finger, and on your right hand, stick out your thumb. So, you would see:

-O -O

(where O denotes your fist, and - denotes a digit)

Then, you switch: on your left hand, stick out your thumb, and on your right hand your pinky:

O- O-

and then alternate back and forth.

-O -O
O- O-
-O -O
O- O-
Haha that is a great one, but i cannot do it.

marlon

1. Can you guys explain how this trick works?

As a scientist, I can certainly try my best to explain the underlying principles and mechanisms behind the trick. However, since I do not know the specific details of the trick, my explanation may not be accurate or complete. It is always best to consult with the person who performed the trick for a detailed explanation.

2. Is this trick based on science or is it just a magic trick?

Without knowing the specifics of the trick, it is difficult to say for sure. However, many magic tricks do involve principles of science such as physics, chemistry, or psychology. So, it is possible that this trick may have a scientific basis.

3. Can anyone learn to do this trick or does it require special skills?

It depends on the trick itself. Some tricks may require specific skills or training, while others may be easier to learn. However, anyone can improve their skills and abilities with practice and dedication.

4. Are there any dangers or risks associated with this trick?

Again, it depends on the trick. Some tricks may involve elements that can be dangerous if not performed properly, while others may be completely safe. It is important to always exercise caution and follow proper instructions when attempting any trick.

5. How long does it take to master this trick?

The time it takes to master a trick varies greatly and depends on the complexity of the trick, the individual's natural abilities, and the amount of practice and dedication put into it. Some tricks may be mastered quickly, while others may take months or even years to perfect.

Back