Can you help me find the right hydraulic valve?

• Thread starter William123
  • Start date
Hi

I'm a novice when it comes to hydraulics but I want to be able to make use of it in future projects. I thought building a small scale excavator might be a fun project to start with. However I'm a bit confused when it comes to the valves that will control the different motions. From what I've seen, excavators use spool valves. If I understand correctly, a spool valve will allow slow and fast movements depending on how much you pull or push the corresponding lever.

I have found cheap lever type spool valves on ebay that would probably work, but I would be interested in controlling the excavator with joysticks. The electronic spool valves that I have seen so far are either open or closed (in either direction) and don't allow slower movements. I'm quite good with electronics so I'm considering hacking the lever type spool valve but it would be neater if there was a spool valve that could be controlled electronically (and proportionally).

If you can think of a good (or bad!) solution to this, please share it because I don't really know what kind of equipment is available out there. Cheaper is better!

Thanks

OCR

. . . but it would be neater if there was a spool valve that could be controlled electronically (and proportionally).

I know exactly what you want to do. . .

I have a used Cat 312BL, which is larger than the project you are proposing, but the

principle is the same. . .

To bring your system to a new level of control, precision, and timing, Bosch Rexroth Industrial Proportional and Servo valves will improve your system’s functions by smoothing transitions and giving more control over the speed and forces applied by your actuators.

And that's where it gets real ugly, real fast. . . :frown:

Proportional and Servo Valves

The prices are horrendous !!

BTW, if you get this popup, just click Stop it.

1564638310127.png

Wow, that's expensive. I think I could motorize regular lever type spool valves for a lot less. That seems to be the only reasonable solution at this point. I have seen some current controlled flow control valves, but they take a long time to adjust so it's not a practical solution for this project.