Can you help me find the right hydraulic valve?

In summary: . . but it would be neater if there was a spool valve that could be controlled electronically (and proportionally).
William123
Hi

I'm a novice when it comes to hydraulics but I want to be able to make use of it in future projects. I thought building a small scale excavator might be a fun project to start with. However I'm a bit confused when it comes to the valves that will control the different motions. From what I've seen, excavators use spool valves. If I understand correctly, a spool valve will allow slow and fast movements depending on how much you pull or push the corresponding lever.

I have found cheap lever type spool valves on ebay that would probably work, but I would be interested in controlling the excavator with joysticks. The electronic spool valves that I have seen so far are either open or closed (in either direction) and don't allow slower movements. I'm quite good with electronics so I'm considering hacking the lever type spool valve but it would be neater if there was a spool valve that could be controlled electronically (and proportionally).

If you can think of a good (or bad!) solution to this, please share it because I don't really know what kind of equipment is available out there. Cheaper is better!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
William123 said:
. . . but it would be neater if there was a spool valve that could be controlled electronically (and proportionally).
I know exactly what you want to do. . .I have a used Cat 312BL, which is larger than the project you are proposing, but the

principle is the same. . .

To bring your system to a new level of control, precision, and timing, Bosch Rexroth Industrial Proportional and Servo valves will improve your system’s functions by smoothing transitions and giving more control over the speed and forces applied by your actuators.
And that's where it gets real ugly, real fast. . . :frown:

Proportional and Servo Valves
The prices are horrendous !BTW, if you get this popup, just click Stop it.

1564638310127.png

Wow, that's expensive. I think I could motorize regular lever type spool valves for a lot less. That seems to be the only reasonable solution at this point. I have seen some current controlled flow control valves, but they take a long time to adjust so it's not a practical solution for this project.

William123 said:
Wow, that's expensive.
Yeah. . . it's a shame, too. . . . :oldfrown:

1. What is a hydraulic valve?

A hydraulic valve is a mechanical device that controls the flow of fluid in a hydraulic system. It is used to regulate the pressure, direction, and rate of flow of the fluid, which is typically oil or water-based.

2. How do I know which hydraulic valve is right for my system?

The right hydraulic valve for your system depends on several factors, including the type of fluid being used, the required pressure and flow rate, and the specific application. It is best to consult with a hydraulic expert or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine the most suitable valve for your system.

3. Can I use any hydraulic valve for my system?

No, it is important to use the correct hydraulic valve for your system to ensure optimal performance and safety. Using the wrong valve can result in damage to your system or equipment, and may also pose a safety hazard.

4. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a hydraulic valve?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the proper functioning of a hydraulic valve. This includes checking for leaks, cleaning or replacing filters, and ensuring proper lubrication. If you encounter any issues with your valve, it is best to consult with a hydraulic expert for troubleshooting and repairs.

5. Can I adjust the settings on a hydraulic valve?

Some hydraulic valves have adjustable settings, such as pressure and flow rate, while others are fixed. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines before attempting to adjust any settings on a hydraulic valve. Improper adjustments can lead to system failure or damage.