Is This Integral More Challenging Than It Appears?

• Thread starter Nea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using partial fractions and integration by parts to solve the integral \int {\frac{{x^3 + 1}}{{x(x^3 - 8)}}} dx. The formula for integration by parts by substitution rule is also mentioned. The latter integral is considered more complicated than the former one.
Nea
Can you help me to solve this integral?
[tex]\int {\frac{{x^3 + 1}}{{x(x^3 - 8)}}} dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial fractions? x^3 - 8 = x^3 - 2^3 is easy to factor.

Remember that [itex]8=2^{3}[/itex]
Hence, we have:
[itex]x^{3}-8=(x-2)(x^{2}+2x+4)[/itex]
Use partial fractions decomposition; it might help to note that:
[tex]x^{2}+2x+4=(x+1)^{2}+3=3((\frac{x+1}{\sqrt{3}})^{2}+1)[/tex]

Formula for integration by parts by Substitution Rule:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]

[tex]u = x^3 + 1 \; \; \; dv = \frac{dx}{x^4-8x}[/tex]

[tex]du = 3x^2 dx \; \; \; v = \left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{24} - \frac{\ln\left(x\right)}{8}\right][/tex]

[tex]\int \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left(\frac{1}{x^4-8x}\right)dx = \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{24} - \frac{\ln\left(x\right)}{8}\right] - \int \left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{24} - \frac{\ln\left(x\right)}{8}\right]\left(3x^2\right)dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Orion1 said:

...[tex]\int \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left(\frac{1}{x^4-8x}\right)dx = \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{24} - \frac{\ln\left(x\right)}{8}\right] - \int \left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{24} - \frac{\ln\left(x\right)}{8}\right]\left(3x^2\right)dx[/tex]
Orion1, do you think that the latter integral look much more complicated than the former one??

VietDao29 said:
much more complicated than the former one??
Affirmative
[tex]\int \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left(\frac{1}{x^4-8x}\right)dx = \frac{1}{8} \left[ \left(x^3 + 1\right)\left[\frac{\ln \left(x^3 - 8\right)}{3} - \ln\left(x\right)\right] - \int \left[ \ln \left(x^3 - 8\right) - 3 \ln\left(x\right)\right]\left(x^2\right)dx\right][/tex]

FAQ: Is This Integral More Challenging Than It Appears?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total quantity or value of something that is continuously changing.

2. What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral varies depending on the type of integral. Generally, it involves identifying the function or curve, finding an appropriate formula or method, and then applying it to find the solution. It may also involve using mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. How do I know which method to use to solve an integral?

There is no single method that can be used to solve all integrals. It is important to carefully examine the integral and identify any patterns or similarities to previous integrals that you have solved. This will help you determine which method or formula to use.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer to solve an integral?

Yes, many calculators and computer software programs have built-in functions for solving integrals. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving an integral by hand before relying on technology.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integral. If the derivative matches the original function, then your solution is correct. You can also use an online integral calculator or ask a fellow mathematician or teacher to review your work.