What is the Purpose of This Aluminum Laser with No Markings?

• Thread starter dmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary: The 1mW power output and wavelength would likely preclude it being used as a weapon, though. In summary, this may be a pre-aligned 1mW diode laser pointer with a 670nm wavelength. It is unclear what its intended use might be, but it may be used for optical boresighting.
dmar
TL;DR Summary
What is this laser?
Hello smart folks! I recently discovered this item in the estate of a former space shuttle engineer. He was responsible for replacing major components on the space shuttles as well as the crawler. It has no property markings…only the laser warning sticker. My curiosity has me here to, hopefully, find someone that can identify it and it’s intended purpose. It weighs about 6 lbs and is constructed of aluminum. I have spent countless hours researching and cannot find anything like it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time, Dave

Attachments

• 1793F38B-16AE-4F1D-82EF-6FEC62FDB202.jpeg
    1793F38B-16AE-4F1D-82EF-6FEC62FDB202.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 875D23C8-16BE-44B6-9DD7-0AF7AC6450BB.jpeg
    875D23C8-16BE-44B6-9DD7-0AF7AC6450BB.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 8FFC4993-B5BB-405C-A971-00FB7AB600D7.jpeg
    8FFC4993-B5BB-405C-A971-00FB7AB600D7.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 102
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't read all of the label, but here is what I've found:

• The manufacturer still shows up on a Google search
  • The two patents on the label indicate that it is a diode Laser in a TO-5 transistor package
  • It appears to be a pre-aligned assembly in that conical package for accurate aiming
  • The power output is 1mW (low power, as used in Laser pointers)
  • The wavelength can not be completely deciphered in the photo but seems to be in the range of Dark Red to Near Infrared.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Mike Gaffer and Klystron
Note that manufacturers must put their warning stickers where humans can see them. Not necessarily where the laser actually is. I suspect there is much about that conical thing that is the result of ancillary requirements. Most 1mW diode lasers don't look like that.

Your photo of the label is really really hard to read, so what's the point of posting it? I think it says 670nm, which would be a common red diode laser wavelength. If the peak power is 1mW, that isn't very informative of the actual power, since it's so low. I would presume it's CW with such low peak power.

Anyway, there are lots of things you could do with a low power red laser, we won't know about the application from the warning label. As if I showed you a picture of a light bulb and asked what it was used to illuminate. If I had to place an uneducated bet, I'd go for some opto-mechanical alignment system (i.e. a pointer).

• Informative
Likes Mike Gaffer, Twigg and Klystron
I concur with both previous posts.

The rigid conical housing provides alignment for calibration when slotted into correct aperture. This article on optical boresighting includes a section on laser alignment of firearms, not to imply your souvenir relates to a weapon system.

1. What is a laser and how does it work?

A laser is a device that produces a concentrated beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. This involves exciting atoms or molecules to a higher energy state, which then release photons of light in a specific direction. The resulting beam of light is coherent, meaning the waves are all in phase and travel in the same direction.

2. How can you identify different types of lasers?

Lasers can be identified based on their wavelength, which determines the color of the light they produce. They can also be classified by their power output, beam quality, and mode of operation (continuous wave or pulsed).

3. What are some common applications of lasers?

Lasers have a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, medicine, manufacturing, and research. They are used in fiber optic communication, laser surgery, cutting and welding of materials, and spectroscopy, among others.

4. How do you measure the power of a laser?

The power of a laser is typically measured in watts (W) or milliwatts (mW). This can be done using a power meter, which absorbs the laser beam and converts it into heat. The amount of heat produced is then measured and converted to a power reading.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with lasers?

Working with lasers can be dangerous, so proper safety precautions should always be taken. This includes wearing appropriate eye protection, following proper handling and operation procedures, and ensuring the laser is properly shielded to prevent accidental exposure. It is also important to be aware of the laser's classification, which is based on its potential hazards and safety requirements.