Can You Prove These Equivalence Relations?

In summary: I can't provide a summary for this conversation because it is not a complete conversation. It is only a partial conversation with some incorrect information. The main points to take away are the definitions of "~", reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. It is important to include all necessary information when proving an equivalence relation.
bishy

Homework Statement

question 1: Define ~ on Z by a ~ b if and only if 3a + b is multiple of 4.

question 2: Let A = {1,2,3,4,5,6} and let S = P(A) (the power set of A). For [tex] a,b \in S [/tex] define a ~ b if a and b have the same number of elements. Prove that ~ defines an equivalence relationship on S.

The Attempt at a Solution

question 1: Here is an attempt at a proof. I'm not really sure how to go about proving transitivity, hope I did it right. If not some advice would be swell.

~ is reflexive since that implies 3a + a = 4a which clearly implies 4 | 4a

~ is symmetric since by communitative algebra laws 3a + b = b + 3a so [tex] (b,a) \in \mathcal{R} [/tex]

~ is transitive since if 4| 3a + b and 4| 3b + c then their sums must be divisible by 4.
This gives something of the form 4| 3a + 4b + c but clearly 4b is divisible by 4 so it can be omitted then 4| 3a + c which implies [tex] (a,c) \in \mathcal{R} [/tex]

Therefore its an equivalence relation

question 2: I have absolutely no idea how to prove for transitivity here. I always thought transitivity could only be used to indicate a equality, if that would be the case then there would be no transitivity and therefore no relation but that clearly is not the case. Some advice on how to prove it would be nice.

proof:

since [tex] a \in P(S) [/tex] is a subset of P(S), then a is reflexive on P(S) trivially since the reflexion of a set is the set again.

if [tex] a,b \in P(S) [/tex] and since [tex] a, b \subseteq P(S) [/tex] and by definition of a set, order does not matter.

Then b can be interchanged with a such that [tex] b,a \in P(S) [/tex]

Therefore it is symmetric.

Proof of transitivity goes here

Physics news on Phys.org
bishy said:

Homework Statement

question 1: Define ~ on Z by a ~ b if and only if 3a + b is multiple of 4.

question 2: Let A = {1,2,3,4,5,6} and let S = P(A) (the power set of A). For [tex] a,b \in S [/tex] define a ~ b if a and b have the same number of elements. Prove that ~ defines an equivalence relationship on S.

The Attempt at a Solution

question 1: Here is an attempt at a proof. I'm not really sure how to go about proving transitivity, hope I did it right. If not some advice would be swell.

~ is reflexive since that implies 3a + a = 4a which clearly implies 4 | 4a

~ is symmetric since by communitative algebra laws 3a + b = b + 3a so [tex] (b,a) \in \mathcal{R} [/tex]
No, that's not what "symmetric" means. If a~b means "3a+ b is a multiple of 4", then b~a means "3b+ a is a multiple of 4".

[/quote] ~ is transitive since if 4| 3a + b and 4| 3b + c then their sums must be divisible by 4.
This gives something of the form 4| 3a + 4b + c but clearly 4b is divisible by 4 so it can be omitted then 4| 3a + c which implies [tex] (a,c) \in \mathcal{R} [/tex][/quote]
Now that's completely correct and very clever!

Therefore its an equivalence relation

question 2: I have absolutely no idea how to prove for transitivity here. I always thought transitivity could only be used to indicate a equality, if that would be the case then there would be no transitivity and therefore no relation but that clearly is not the case. Some advice on how to prove it would be nice.

proof:

since [tex] a \in P(S) [/tex] is a subset of P(S), then a is reflexive on P(S) trivially since the reflexion of a set is the set again.p.
What? By "a is reflexive" do you mean a~a? That is, that "~" is reflexive, not a. Also a being in P(S) does not mean it is a subset of P(S), but that it is a subset of S. Perhaps that was a typo. Most importantly, just saying it is a subset of S is not enough. For two sets to be "~", they must both be subsets of s and ...

if [tex] a,b \in P(S) [/tex] and since [tex] a, b \subseteq P(S) [/tex] and by definition of a set, order does not matter.

Then b can be interchanged with a such that [tex] b,a \in P(S) [/tex]

Therefore it is symmetric.
Again, you have dropped an important part of the definition of "~"! a~b if and only if a and b are subsets of S and ...

[/quote]Proof of transitivity goes here[/QUOTE]

Related to Can You Prove These Equivalence Relations?

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relation between two objects or elements that have certain properties in common. These properties include reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

2. How do you prove that a relation is an equivalence relation?

To prove that a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to show that it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This can be done by providing examples or using logical arguments.

3. What are some common examples of equivalence relations?

Some common examples of equivalence relations include equality, congruence in geometry, and similarity in geometry. In set theory, the relation of equivalence classes is also an example of an equivalence relation.

4. How do you prove that two elements are equivalent?

To prove that two elements are equivalent, you need to show that they belong to the same equivalence class. This can be done by demonstrating that they share the same properties or by showing that they satisfy the three properties of an equivalence relation.

5. Why are equivalence relations important in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they help us classify and compare objects or elements based on their properties. They also allow us to simplify complex problems and make connections between different areas of mathematics.