Can you put out a fuse (fire) with a laser?

In summary: It would take a very powerful laser (possibly more than one mounted on a suitable platform) in order to cause significant cooling of the target.
J3J33J333
TL;DR Summary
I was wondering you if you could use a laser to put out a fuse or to stop combustion?
I was wondering you if you could use a laser to put out a fuse or to stop combustion? Could you use some form of laser/laser cooling to put out an explosion mid-explosion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Under what principle?

J3J33J333 said:
I was wondering you if you could use a laser to put out a fuse or to stop combustion?
Any laser with sufficient power could melt a fusible link. Lasers are used to cut thick sheets of steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cutting

J3J33J333 said:
Could you use some form of laser/laser cooling to put out an explosion mid-explosion?
A laser adds energy to the system, so it is unlikely to be able to stop combustion or halt an explosion. It would probably only increase the rate of the process.

Lasers can only cool things like single atoms that are held in a trap, at temperatures close to absolute zero. The laser can stimulate removal of the last quantum of energy from the trapped atom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cooling

Baluncore said:
Any laser with sufficient power could melt a fusible link.
I thought he meant the kind of fuse on dynamite. A rapid oxidation reaction.

In principle? Yes.

But just shining any old laser at a fuse will do absolutely nothing.

J3J33J333 said:
Summary: I was wondering you if you could use a laser to put out a fuse or to stop combustion?

Could you use some form of laser/laser cooling to put out an explosion mid-explosion?
I wish. Laser cooling will not work on room temperature gases, much less hot combustion gases. Our "explosions" that get studied in atomic physics experiments occur at or below a thousandth or even a millionth of a degree kelvin above absolute zero.

I say it is possible in principle to stop combustion because radiative forces on molecules has been demonstrated (several times, like this example). You could use laser light to push the oxygen away from the burning fuse. It would just be a very, very expensive laser system.

J3J33J333 said:
You seem to be thinking along the lines of blowing out oil well fires with dynamite. I'd have to ask what scale of fire are you actually considering and what power of laser could be involved. Any laser pulse would need sufficient Energy to cause an 'explosion' to blast away enough oxygen from the fire to stop it burning and allow it all to cool down before it could re-ignite (fire triangle). So it's not just the Peak Power of the laser that counts (which could easily be GW) but the total Energy in a shortish interval. We could be talking in terms of a military weapon which could vaporise parts of an incoming missile.

As has been pointed out already, 'Laser cooling' is an entirely different (quantum) effect.

1. Can a laser put out a fuse (fire)?

Yes, a laser can put out a fuse (fire) if it is powerful enough and directed at the right angle.

2. How does a laser put out a fuse (fire)?

A laser can put out a fuse (fire) by emitting a high-intensity beam of light that can heat up and vaporize the fuel source of the fire, cutting off its oxygen supply and extinguishing it.

3. What type of laser is needed to put out a fuse (fire)?

A high-powered laser with a wavelength that can be absorbed by the fuel source of the fire is needed to put out a fuse (fire). Lasers with wavelengths in the infrared or visible spectrum are most effective for this purpose.

4. Are there any risks involved in using a laser to put out a fuse (fire)?

Yes, there are risks involved in using a laser to put out a fuse (fire). The laser must be used with caution and proper protective gear to avoid eye damage or accidental ignition of other flammable materials.

5. Can a laser put out any type of fire?

A laser may be able to put out small fires, but it is not a reliable method for extinguishing large or spreading fires. It is best used for small, contained fires and is not a substitute for traditional fire extinguishing methods.