Can You Solve This Integer Equation for January 25th, 2021?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the integer equation for January 25th, 2021 is: x + 1 = 26, and can be solved by subtracting 1 from both sides to get x = 25. This equation only has one solution, x = 25, and it is important to specify the date in the equation for context and practicality. While there are different methods to solve this equation, the result will always be the same: x = 25.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Determine all positive integers $a,\,b$ and $c$ that satisfy the following equation:

$(a+b)!=4(b+c)!+18(a+c)!$

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello all again!

I was told that the current POTW is a duplicate problem/challenge that have been posted in MHB before. For that, I am truly sorry. I have been posted many problems recently at MHB in the form of POTW or challenge that I will, sometimes, repost a same problem twice. I am writing to seek for your understanding and please know that I do not intentionally make the duplicate post.

Having said all those, please disregard the above post and I will now present to you this week's POTW:

Find the maximum value of the expression $|\cdots||x_1-x_2|-x_3|-\cdots -x_{1990}|$, where $x_1,\,x_2,\,\cdots,\,x_{1990}$ are distinct natural numbers between 1 and 1990.

No one replied to last week's POTW. (Sadface)

However, I have decided to give the community another week's time to attempt at last week's POTW. And I am looking forward to receiving submissions from the members!

Congratulations to Opalg for his correct solution, which you can find below:

For a given permutation $ (x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n)$ of $(1,2,\ldots,n)$, let $S = \Bigl|\bigl|\ldots \bigl||x_1-x_2|-x_3\bigr|-\ldots - x_{n-1}\bigr| -x_n\Bigr|$.

For $2\leqslant r\leqslant n$, let $S(r) = \Bigl|\bigl|\ldots\bigl||x_1-x_2|-x_3\bigr|-\ldots - x_{r-1}\bigr| -x_r\Bigr|$. Then $S(r) = |S(r-1) - x_r|$, and $S = S(n)$.

An easy proof by induction shows that, for each $r$, $S(r)$ is an integer between $0$ and $n$. In particular, $S$ cannot be greater than $n$.

If $x_r$ is even then $S(r)$ has the same parity as $S(r-1)$, and if $x_r$ is odd then $S(r)$ has the opposite parity to $S(r-1)$. If $n$ is of the form $4k$ or $4k+3$ then the set $\{1,2,3,\ldots,n\}$ contains an even number of odd integers, so $S$ will be even. But if $n$ is of the form $4k+1$ or $4k+2$ then the set $\{1,2,3,\ldots,n\}$ contains an odd number of odd integers, so $S$ will be even. In particular, $1990$ is of the form $4k+2$. It follows that in that case $S$ cannot be greater than $1989$.

With $S$ as above, consider the permutation $\{x_1,x_2,\ldots, x_n,n+2,n+1\}$ of the numbers $(1,2,\ldots,n+2)$, and let $S^{++}$ be the corresponding sum $S^{++} = \Bigl|\bigl|\ldots\bigl||x_1-x_2|-x_3\bigl|-\ldots - (n+2)\bigl| -(n+1)\Bigl|$. Then $$S^{++} = \bigl||S - (n+2)| - (n+1)\bigr| = |n+2-S - (n+1)| = |S - 1|.$$ In particular, if $S=0$ then $S^{++} = 1$; and if $S=1$ then $S^{++} = 0$. Another easy induction proof then shows that if $n$ is of the form $4k+1$ or $4k+2$ then (by choosing the permutation $ (x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n)$ appropriately) it is possible to get $S=1$. (And if $n$ is of the form $4k$ or $4k+3$ then it is possible to get $S=0$.)

In particular, there is a permutation $(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_{1989})$ of the numbers $(1,2,\ldots,1989)$ giving $S=1$. The permutation $(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_{1989},1990)$ of the numbers $(1,2,\ldots,1990)$ then has a corresponding sum $S^+$ satisfying $S^+ = |S - 1990| = |1-1990| = 1989$. Therefore the maximum value of the expression $ \Bigl|\bigl|\ldots\bigl||x_1-x_2|-x_3\bigr|-\ldots - x_{1989}\bigr| -x_{1990}\Bigr|$, where $x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_{1990}$ are distinct natural numbers between $1$ and $1990$, is $1989$.

Related to Can You Solve This Integer Equation for January 25th, 2021?

1. How do you solve an integer equation?

To solve an integer equation, you need to follow the basic rules of algebra. Start by simplifying both sides of the equation and combining like terms. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation.

2. What is an integer equation?

An integer equation is an equation that contains only integers (positive and negative whole numbers) and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It does not contain any fractions, decimals, or variables with exponents.

3. Can all integer equations be solved?

Yes, all integer equations can be solved using the rules of algebra. However, some equations may have infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.

4. How do you know if an integer equation has no solutions?

If, after simplifying and solving the equation, you end up with a statement that is always false (such as 0=1), then the equation has no solutions. This means that there is no value that can be substituted for the variable to make the equation true.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving integer equations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used for solving certain types of integer equations, such as the distributive property or the rules for combining like terms. However, it is important to understand the basic principles of algebra in order to accurately solve any type of integer equation.