Can you take the Laplacian of a vector field with cylindrical coordinates?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laplacian Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Homework Helper
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
33
Tell me I'm not going mad. If I have a vector field of the form [tex]\mathbf{A}=(0,A(x,y,z),0)[/tex] and I want to take the Laplacian of it, [tex]\nabla^{2}\mathbf{A}[/tex], can I take the Laplacian of the co-ordinate function A(x,y,z)? Will this be the same for the case of cylindrical co-ordinates?

Mat
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's true for Cartesian coordinates.
For cylindrical coordinates, you must remember that a planar unit vector is dependent upon the angular variable, so take care to differentiate that unit vector as well.

For a vector field [tex]\vec{A}=A(r,\theta,z)\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex] we'll get, for example,
[tex]\nabla^{2}\vec{A}=(A_{rr}+\frac{A_{r}}{r}-\frac{A}{r^{2}}+\frac{A_{\theta\theta}}{r^{2}}+A_{zz})\vec{i}_{\theta}-\frac{2A_{\theta}}{r^{2}}\vec{i}_{r}[/tex]
where lower case on the scalar function indicates differentiation with respect to that variable.
Note that this does NOT equal a naive application of the Laplacian operator merely to the scalar component A.
 
Last edited: