1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of cylindrical magnet

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I wanted to calculate the magnetic field of a cylindrical magnet at a point P (r,ɵ,z). The magnet can be at the origin or anywhere convenient. Preferably the axis of the magnet is aligned with the z axis.

The magnet is of radius r_m and height h_m. The remanent flux density of the magnet is B_r. I have seen a few papers, but some of them are too complex. The simple solutions too, involve models which have unclear assumptions.

If you know a good analytical model, please point me in the right direction. I know that using FEM (say COMSOL) it is really easy.

Regards,

-sgsawant

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/all_homework_solutions/Jackson_5_19.pdf" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks! But that's a very specific case - I am necessarily looking for a general case solution.

I appreciate your effort though.

5. Aug 9, 2011 #4
    It's just that there is no simple solution, analytical and general.

As you may often expect when a field defined by a differential equation has edgy boundaries.

And as you may expect about every time with the magnetic field, because it makes no huge difference between conductors and isolators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook