Magnetic field of cylindrical magnet

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
sgsawant
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I wanted to calculate the magnetic field of a cylindrical magnet at a point P (r,ɵ,z). The magnet can be at the origin or anywhere convenient. Preferably the axis of the magnet is aligned with the z axis.

The magnet is of radius r_m and height h_m. The remanent flux density of the magnet is B_r. I have seen a few papers, but some of them are too complex. The simple solutions too, involve models which have unclear assumptions.

If you know a good analytical model, please point me in the right direction. I know that using FEM (say COMSOL) it is really easy.

Regards,

-sgsawant
 
Physics news on Phys.org
http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/all_homework_solutions/Jackson_5_19.pdf"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! But that's a very specific case - I am necessarily looking for a general case solution.

I appreciate your effort though.
 
It's just that there is no simple solution, analytical and general.

As you may often expect when a field defined by a differential equation has edgy boundaries.

And as you may expect about every time with the magnetic field, because it makes no huge difference between conductors and isolators.