Can Z and U be considered independent in this scenario?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lolypop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Distributed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
lolypop
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi ,
I got this question in my midterm today but up till now I don't know how to solve it ,

The Question is as follow :
If X and Y are two exponential Rv with different lambda . and there's a new Rvs Z and U are defined such that :

Z= 0 : X<Y and 1 : X=> Y

U= min(X,Y)

and the Question asked to proof that Z and U are independent .

So I started my solution by deriving the pdf of U since I know how to then tried to derive the pdf of Z but didn't know where to start and got stuck . :frown:

Can anyone tell me of a way to derive the pdf of Z . or is there another way to solve the problem ?:rolleyes:

lolypop
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Z is discrete and doesn't have a pdf - one way around is to consider the cdf instead, i.e. show that the joint cdf of Z and U is a product of the marginal cdfs.