Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canned or Frozen?

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Is it better to buy vegetables that are flash frozen or ones that come in a can? I would think it would be better to buy the ones that are frozen as I would imagine would have no preservatives and maintain their nutrients. Canned stuff is a lot more convenient though but I figure since its at room temp they must contain some kind of chemical preservative.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only preservative in canned food is normally sugar or salt - pasturising the content and cans is enough to stop most things going bad.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Eat whichever one tastes best to you :)

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Eat the frozen ones. Those cans are way too hard on ones teeth.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Flash-frozen vegetables and fruits are often processed quite promptly, and because of that, nutrients that can be broken down by the enzymes in those foods may be more concentrated in flash-frozen foods than in canned foods, and certainly in foods that are incorporated into processed meals and frozen later as a matter of convenience and presentation. You might want to give frozen convenience food a wide berth, since their labels are very long and contain stuff that you don't necessarily want to eat. Frozen meals are especially high in salt content, for the most part.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6
    I don't ever go near frozen meals these days but I do eat a lot of vegetables that I buy frozen. If I buy a frozen bag of corn the ingredients are just "corn". The stuff in the can sometimes will say things like "corn, salt, sodium nitrate", or something like that.

8. Sep 28, 2009 #7
    I've spent a little time around food processing operations - flash frozen.

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8
    A quick Google search will tell you that fresh and frozen vegetables are comparable (with frozen edging out "fresh" at times given that "fresh" vegetables can spend considerable time in storage and shipping.)

The arguments between canned and frozen seem to favour frozen because canning requires cooking at high heats that can reduce nutrients.

Personally? Frozen over canned because of flavour and texture. Canned vegetables are invariably squishy and have a disgusting feeling in your mouth. And they don't taste as good. I'd go with frozen.

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer frozen over canned for the flavor too. Whichever one gets you to eat your veggies is probably better than none at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook