Is it safe to preserve food at home using an oven instead of boiling water?

In summary, preserving food at home requires heating the produce in glass jars to kill harmful pathogens. While some may recommend using an oven, the USDA only supports the boiling water method for safety reasons. There are concerns about the reliability and effectiveness of using an oven, as well as the potential for jars to break or explode. Additionally, there is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of oven canning. It is important to follow recommended methods for safe food preservation to avoid risks such as food poisoning and botulism.
Justin Loew
Preserving food at home involves putting produce in glass jars and heating them to kill pathogens like bacteria, fungus, yeast, etc...

The USDA recommends AGAINST using an oven to preserve food. They only support the boiling water method, which involves submerging the jars in a pot of boiling water or in a pressure cooker.

I am unsure if the issue has ever been studied intensively. Theoretically, by heat diffusion, it should not matter whether the heat source is boiling water or hot air. Eventually the heat should flow into the "colder" jar full of food until it is equalized.

Some of the reasons people give against using an oven is that the jars might break, the temperature reading might not be reliable, etc... but I don't buy it. Water boils at 212. If you wanted to make sure you were heating your jars enough in the oven, one could just turn the heat up to 240 or 250, or whatever, to more than compensate for small deviations between oven models.

The only difference between the two methods is that I can divine is that the water boiling method might go faster since the number of molecules transferring heat would be greater, but is it that much of a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of reasons oven canning isn't safe.

Oven Temperature- the oven cannot be a pressure chamber,
  1. which means that the food inside the jars will never get hotter than the boiling point of water (212F) regardless of how high the air temperature is inside the oven, Basic Law of Physics Folks!
  2. Explosion Risk- Canning jars were not designed to be in a dry heat environment for a prolonged period of time and have been known to crack, shatter and in some instances even Explode during processing.
  3. Manufacturers of canning jars do not recommend baking or oven canning in the jars.
  4. Lack of Proof- There isn't a Single, research-based documentation/study to support that 'canning' any food in a dry oven as described on this web page or any page that proposes oven canning provides sufficient heating to destroy bacteria of concern.
In Short, Oven Canning is a potentially hazardous practice that can lead to food poisoning, botulism and death. There are a number of considerably safer methods of food storage and preservation
Read the article
https://www.budget101.com/content.php/3975-how-to-can-using-Dry-Oven-Canning

Likes davenn, BillTre and jim hardy
Hi and welcome to PF
As you say, water is a very effective and reliable medium for transferring heat (you suggest a valid reason why, in your post). I would imagine that boiling water under pressure would be a more reliable method for cooking food thoroughly and that would be why it is the chosen method for USDA. Google will produce a long list of links about this topic. This one is good for general reading. There are obviously a number of factors that apply to different foods and the length of time that preservation needs to operate for.
Alternative dry methods of heating are likely to be effective but they would be slower if you need to avoid frazzling / charring the outside of the food before the inside is 'cooked through'.
I think you would need to have a particular foodstuff in mind and its form before we could come to any useful conclusion about which method would be best.

Likes Evo
Evo said:
There are a lot of reasons oven canning isn't safe.

Read the article
https://www.budget101.com/content.php/3975-how-to-can-using-Dry-Oven-Canning

I understand points #2, #3, and #4 as practical matters, but I am trying to get a physics explanation.

In #1, are you saying that if you put a sealed jar of food in a 1000 degree oven, it will never get above 212, no matter how long it is in there? That seems to defy everything that is known about heat transfer/diffusion.

As far as having the jars under pressure, yes that will raise the temperature of the food in a pressure cooker (water method). Since the jars are sealed, the pressure should also rise somewhat (inside the jars) in the oven cooking method, just by ideal gas law consideration.

I guess there would be a way to test it out. Put a thermometer/sensor in the middle of a jar, put it in an oven, and see how warm it gets.

Justin Loew said:
In #1, are you saying that if you put a sealed jar of food in a 1000 degree oven, it will never get above 212, no matter how long it is in there? That seems to defy everything that is known about heat transfer/diffusion.
It won't go above 212F until it boils away all the water in it, and/or pressurizes it, which obviously you don't want to do.

The problem with using more heat is that it doesn't promote even heating. Lower temperatures for longer durations provide more even heating.

Likes Evo
russ_watters said:
It won't go above 212F until it boils away all the water in it, and/or pressurizes it, which obviously you don't want to do.

The problem with using more heat is that it doesn't promote even heating. Lower temperatures for longer durations provide more even heating.

Water inside the jars boils no matter if it is in a water canner or in an open oven. With the jars being sealed, the pressure should rise in both of them, I would suspect.

Justin Loew said:
I understand points #2, #3, and #4 as practical matters, but I am trying to get a physics explanation.

As far as having the jars under pressure, yes that will raise the temperature of the food in a pressure cooker (water method). Since the jars are sealed, the pressure should also rise somewhat (inside the jars) in the oven cooking method, just by ideal gas law consideration.

I guess there would be a way to test it out. Put a thermometer/sensor in the middle of a jar, put it in an oven, and see how warm it gets.
Well, we aren't experts at canning, so google it for yourself if you don't like the answer. Be careful. thread closed.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is canning/heat-preserving food?

Canning/heat-preserving food is a method of preserving food by heating it to a high temperature and sealing it in an airtight container. This process kills any bacteria or microorganisms that may spoil the food, allowing it to be stored for long periods of time without refrigeration.

2. How does canning/heat-preserving food work?

The process of canning/heat-preserving food involves heating the food to a high temperature, typically around 240°F, to destroy any harmful bacteria. The food is then sealed in an airtight container, such as a glass jar or metal can, which prevents any new bacteria from entering and spoiling the food.

3. What types of food can be canned/heat-preserved?

Most types of food can be canned/heat-preserved, including fruits, vegetables, meats, and even some dairy products. However, certain foods, such as low-acid foods like meats and vegetables, require special processing methods to ensure safety and prevent spoilage.

4. Is canning/heat-preserving food safe?

When done correctly, canning/heat-preserving food is a safe method of preserving food. The high heat and airtight sealing process kills any harmful bacteria, making the food safe for consumption. It is important to follow proper canning procedures and use clean equipment to ensure safety.

5. How long can canned/heat-preserved food be stored?

The shelf life of canned/heat-preserved food can vary depending on the type of food, how it was processed, and storage conditions. In general, most canned foods can be safely stored for 1-2 years, while some highly acidic foods, like pickles, can last even longer. It is important to check the expiration date on canned foods and follow proper storage guidelines for best results.

Back