Cannot find nonhomogenous DE solution (should be easy?)

• Thread starter gkirkland
  • Start date
In summary, The person is struggling with finding the non-homogenous solution to a given differential equation. They have solved for the homogenous part, but are having trouble with the substitution method on the non-homogenous part due to the same exponent appearing in both parts. A suggested solution is to try a different trial function.
gkirkland

Homework Statement

Determine the non-homogenous solution of the given differential equation.

Homework Equations

See 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for the homogenous part, but as you can see in the link I am getting an unsolvable system of equations with the substitution method on the non-homogenous part. What am I doing wrong?

Capture_zpsc57ed194.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to choose an other trial function for xp, as the inhomogeneous part contains the same exponent as one of the exponents in the homogeneous part.

ehild

gkirkland said:

Homework Statement

Determine the non-homogenous solution of the given differential equation.

Homework Equations

See 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for the homogenous part, but as you can see in the link I am getting an unsolvable system of equations with the substitution method on the non-homogenous part. What am I doing wrong?

Capture_zpsc57ed194.jpg

Try
[tex]
x_p = a\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} te^{-t}
+ b\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -5\end{pmatrix} e^{-t}
[/tex]

1. Why is it important to find the nonhomogeneous DE solution?

It is important to find the nonhomogeneous DE solution because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system or process. Without it, our understanding and analysis of the system would be incomplete.

2. What makes finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution difficult?

Finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution can be difficult because it requires a thorough understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and techniques. It also requires creativity and problem-solving skills to approach the problem from different angles.

3. Are there any common mistakes that can lead to not finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution?

Yes, some common mistakes that can lead to not finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution include making errors in the initial conditions, incorrect application of mathematical techniques, and overlooking certain terms in the DE.

4. What are some strategies for finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution?

Some strategies for finding the nonhomogeneous DE solution include using the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. It is also important to carefully analyze the DE and make appropriate substitutions to simplify the problem.

5. Can nonhomogeneous DE solutions be verified?

Yes, nonhomogeneous DE solutions can be verified by substituting them into the original DE and checking if the equation holds true. Additionally, solutions can be verified by plotting them and comparing them to the behavior of the system in real life.