Canonical expression and truth table

In summary, to create canonical expression from a given expression you use a truth table, a Karnaugh map, or boolean algebra.
nelectrode
Hey,

What are the steps to follow to draw a truth table and create canonical expression
from a given expression A?

Lets say I have A= B'.(C'+D)

1) first I have to draw the truth table for the expression above, but How could I do that since I only have one expression?

2)Then I have to create canonical expression for this A=B'.(C'+D)
( but isn't that already in canonical?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
That one is not really in canonical form. There are two canonical forms: SUM OF PRODUCTS and PRODUCT of SUMS. You can use boolean algebra to make it into any of the canonical forms, or you can use a truth table, or you can use a Karnaugh Map.

A is the function here. So your variables are:
B, C, and D.

Since you have 3 variables your truth table will have 8 rows (2^3 = 8)

It's like saying A(B,C,D) = B'.(C'+D) [A as a function of B, C, and D]

You can make the truth table from there like this:
0 | 1 | 0 | |
0 | 1 | 1 | |
1 | 0 | 0 | |
1 | 0 | 1 | |
1 | 1 | 0 | |
1 | 1 | 1 | |
--------------------------

Now just fill the value of A. That is, plug in the values of B, C, and D to get A. Don't forget to negate those that are suppose to be negated in your A function (B and C in this case).

2) To make the Canonical form of SUM OF PRODUCTS you just have to write down as product those BCD combinations that make A have a 1 and keep adding them. For example if the 000 make A(B,C,D) a 1 then you would have B'C'D'. Then if the 010 make the A(B,C,D) a 1 then you would have together with the last one: A = B'C'D' + B'CD'. And so on.

If you want to have it in its simplest form use boolean algebra or a Karnaugh map which I recommend here.

1. What is canonical expression?

Canonical expression is a type of mathematical expression that represents a logical statement using a combination of logical operators (such as AND, OR, and NOT) and variables (such as A, B, C). It is used in Boolean algebra to simplify and analyze complex logical statements.

2. How is a canonical expression written?

A canonical expression is typically written in a disjunctive normal form (DNF) or a conjunctive normal form (CNF). In DNF, the expression is a combination of OR operations, while in CNF, the expression is a combination of AND operations. Both forms use parentheses to group logical operations and variables.

3. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table used to show the logical relationship between the inputs and outputs of a logical statement. It lists all possible combinations of values for the variables in the statement, and the resulting truth value (true or false) for each combination. This allows for a systematic analysis of the logical statement and can help determine its validity.

4. How is a truth table related to canonical expression?

A truth table can be used to verify the correctness of a canonical expression. By comparing the output values in the truth table with the values obtained from evaluating the canonical expression, we can determine if the expression accurately represents the logical statement.

5. Can a canonical expression have multiple forms?

Yes, a canonical expression can have multiple forms depending on how the logical operators and variables are arranged. However, all forms of a canonical expression are equivalent and represent the same logical statement. This allows for flexibility in manipulating and analyzing logical statements using different forms of canonical expression.