Static power bridge motor drive circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a power bridge circuit and the use of a point "O" as a reference point for measuring phase voltages. The circuit is designed to simulate three sine wave voltages, similar to a 3-phase source, to control a motor. However, the details in the application note may be confusing for some.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand the static power bridge section, but confused with the notation.
I am referring to the application note from TI, the below is the power bridge circuit.

1604751919899.png

The truth table is as below
1604752029804.png

a. I try the first values of A=0, B=0, C=0 the circuit would then become like this according to me
1604752544850.png

It is open above point O, then how the voltage of ##\frac{-V_{DC}} 2## will be applied at the point A,B,C as the table indicates.
b. I know these papers are written by experts but it confuses me , why should he consider a point "O"? Why did he not take just ##V_{DC}## instead of splitting into two power sources.
Note: I have attached the application note and it starts from page24.

Attachments

• spra588.pdf
    539.1 KB · Views: 452
Likes Delta2
Engineering news on Phys.org
Figure 12 on pg.24 shows that the motor is being treated as a 3-phase AC motor.

For that case, the point "O" would be equivalent to the Neutral of a 3-phase Wye connected source, such as at the transformer(s) on the power pole outside the building. Point "O" would then be the reference point from which each of the phase voltages are measured.
PhysicsTest said:
Summary:: I am trying to understand the static power bridge section, but confused with the notation.

It is open above point O, then how the voltage of will be applied at the point A,B,C as the table indicates.
To simulate the three sin wave voltages, the duty cycle (on time) of each switch is varied over time. This makes the voltage phases and amplitudes applied to the motor the equivalent of a typical 3-phase source.

The gory details are presented in the subsequent 6 pages of the application note. Not particularly easy to follow for most of us!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes PhysicsTest

1. What is a static power bridge motor drive circuit?

A static power bridge motor drive circuit is an electronic circuit used to control the speed and direction of a motor. It consists of four power transistors arranged in a bridge configuration, which allows for the switching of current flow to the motor.

2. How does a static power bridge motor drive circuit work?

The circuit works by using pulse width modulation (PWM) signals to control the switching of the four power transistors. By varying the duty cycle of the PWM signals, the amount of current flowing to the motor can be adjusted, thus controlling the speed of the motor. The direction of the motor can also be controlled by switching the polarity of the PWM signals.

3. What are the advantages of using a static power bridge motor drive circuit?

One of the main advantages is its efficiency in controlling the speed and direction of a motor. The use of PWM signals allows for precise control and reduces energy losses. Additionally, the circuit is relatively simple and cost-effective to implement.

4. What types of motors can be controlled using a static power bridge motor drive circuit?

The circuit can be used to control various types of motors, including DC motors, stepper motors, and brushless DC motors. It can also be used to control the speed of fans and pumps.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a static power bridge motor drive circuit?

One potential drawback is the generation of heat due to the switching of the power transistors. This can be mitigated by using heat sinks and proper ventilation. Another drawback is the potential for electrical noise, which can affect the performance of the motor. Careful design and shielding can help reduce this issue.