How do canonical transformations relate to Hamiltonians?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetries and canonical transformations in relation to the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator. The main point is that K and H have different forms, but they can have the same numerical value for certain parameters. The concept of symmetries and the generating function of transformation are also briefly mentioned.
dyn
Hi
The Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator is H = 1/(2m) ( p2+m2ω2q2). A canonical transformation is then made to a new Hamiltonian K( P , Q )

It is said that K ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) but K ( P , Q ) = ωP ( cos2Q +sin2Q ) = ωP

I don't understand how K ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) when they have different forms ? I thought if K = H then they must have the same form but H is a sum of 2 squares but K just equals ωP

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
I don't understand how K ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) when they have different forms ?
They have different forms for different parameters, i.e. (P,Q) and (p,q). One uses Cartesian coordinates. Another uses polar coordinates.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think i might be getting confused with symmetries , so let me see if i have got this right.

K ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) means that if i evaluate H at a certain value of p and q and then evaluate K at the transformed values of P and Q i get the same numerical answer ? There is no implication that K and H have the same functional form ?

If K and H had the exact same functional form then i could write H ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) and this occurs when the canonical transformation is a symmetry ?

Is that right ? Thanks

K and H does not have the same function form. Q does not appear in Hamiltonian K, which is called cyclic coordinate. Hamilton equation of motion for conjugate momentum is
[tex]\dot{P}=0[/tex]
The generating function of transformation is
[tex]\displaystyle W_{1}(q,Q)={\frac {1}{2}}m\omega q^{2}\operatorname {cot} {Q}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
dyn said:
Thank you. I think i might be getting confused with symmetries , so let me see if i have got this right.

K ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) means that if i evaluate H at a certain value of p and q and then evaluate K at the transformed values of P and Q i get the same numerical answer ? There is no implication that K and H have the same functional form ?

If K and H had the exact same functional form then i could write H ( P , Q ) = H ( p , q ) and this occurs when the canonical transformation is a symmetry ?

Is that right ? Thanks
This post is a general question. It is not specific to the harmonic oscillator. I am just trying to find out if i understand the concept in general terms ?

1. What is the purpose of canonical transformations?

Canonical transformations are used in classical mechanics to transform the coordinates and momenta of a system while preserving the Hamiltonian. This allows for easier analysis of the system and can reveal new symmetries or conserved quantities.

2. How do canonical transformations relate to Hamiltonians?

Canonical transformations are intimately related to Hamiltonians as they preserve the Hamiltonian of a system. This means that the equations of motion, which are derived from the Hamiltonian, will not change under a canonical transformation.

3. What are the types of canonical transformations?

There are two types of canonical transformations: point transformations and generating function transformations. Point transformations involve a direct transformation of the coordinates and momenta, while generating function transformations involve the use of a generating function to determine the new coordinates and momenta.

4. How are canonical transformations applied in practice?

In practice, canonical transformations are applied by first identifying the type of transformation needed and then using the appropriate equations to calculate the new coordinates and momenta. This can be done analytically or numerically depending on the complexity of the system.

5. What is the importance of canonical transformations in physics?

Canonical transformations are important in physics as they allow for a deeper understanding of the dynamics of a system. They can reveal hidden symmetries and conserved quantities, and can simplify the equations of motion for easier analysis. They are also used in the formulation of quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.