Can't Find 2D Elastic Modulus Equation

In summary: But often these constants are not known exactly and are modeled as functions of other variables.In summary, this person is trying to find an equation for the deflection of a membrane as a function of the distance from its center, but is worried about the possible "paralysis by analysis" of enabling the layman to predict the approximate tension on their drums. There are two main models describing vibration of elastic thin sheets- the membrane model and the plate model. In the membrane model, the frequency and such depend only on the tension and density of the medium.
For a spherical indenter (drum stick head), the membrane will be in contact with the indenter up to the separation of the membrane from the indenter (at the contact circle at radial location ##r_i##, measured from the vertical axis of the indenter).

If the depth of penetration of the spherical indenter of radius R is large compared to the radius of the contact circle ##r_i##, the slope of the indenter at the separation point will be:
$$slope=\frac{r_i}{R}\tag{1}$$
This must match the slope of the membrane immediately above the contact circle:
$$slope=\frac{\delta}{r_i\ln{(r_0/r_i)}}\tag{2}$$
where δ is the depth of penetration of the indenter.

What do you get if you combine these two equations for the slope?

I also previously presented the following equation for the indenter force:
$$F=\frac{2πσ_ph}{\ln(r_o/r_i)}δ\tag{3}$$
We are going to combine the two slope equations to eliminate ##r_i## and obtain the results for the force in terms of ##\frac{δR}{r_0^2}##

Chet

Physics news on Phys.org
I just found a free e-Book version of the book called "A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity". Is this what you were referring to?

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Treatise_on_the_Mathematical_Theory_of.html?id=kZIfAQAAMAAJ

Also, I just found and downloaded a free PDF textbook from MIT Open CourseWare on Calculus, which goes all the way from limits to vector calculus, and includes a number of additional free resources directly relating to the text.

http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook/

I know I can find even more videos for guidance (and practice problems) on Khan Academy, if needed.

https://www.khanacademy.org

Chestermiller said:
I like the experimental setup[, but] [t]his will only give you an approximation to the stress. To get a better approximation, you would need to use smaller arc lengths and more cables.

How about if I used a stronger steel rim for applying force, so that it deforms less under the same stress? (Also, I was too far into drawing the diagram to change it, but the actual drum I was going to attempt to simulate was a 14" snare drum, which typically has either 8 or 10 tuning bolts.) I've read on drumset forums that those who used them felt they were able to get a more even tuning, or had greater ease in the process.

Chestermiller said:
...I have figured out how to complete the analysis that you are interested in and will be presenting it to you later. But, in the spirit of how we do things at Physics Forums, I will only present some of the key initial equations, and then work together with you in deriving the final results. How does that sound?

Only if none of it would get you in any sort of trouble.

Chestermiller said:
For a spherical indenter (drum stick head), the membrane will be in contact with the indenter up to the separation of the membrane from the indenter (at the contact circle at radial location ##r_i##, measured from the vertical axis of the indenter).

If the depth of penetration of the spherical indenter of radius R is large compared to the radius of the contact circle ##r_i##, the slope of the indenter at the separation point will be:

We are going to combine the two slope equations to eliminate ##r_i## and obtain the results for the force in terms of ##\frac{δR}{r_0^2}##

Chet

What I'm guessing you mean by "combine the two slope equations" is that they should be set as equal to each other, and then solved for ##r_i## so it can be substituted into ##F## to "eliminate" it.

Chrono G. Xay said:
I just found a free e-Book version of the book called "A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity". Is this what you were referring to?
Yes. But I strongly advise starting with a book on Strength of Materials which is typically much less intense mathematically.
How about if I used a stronger steel rim for applying force, so that it deforms less under the same stress? (Also, I was too far into drawing the diagram to change it, but the actual drum I was going to attempt to simulate was a 14" snare drum, which typically has either 8 or 10 tuning bolts.) I've read on drumset forums that those who used them felt they were able to get a more even tuning, or had greater ease in the process.
I thought from your diagram that the rim was not providing any of the support. This is what I was hoping for.
Chrono G. Xay said:
What I'm guessing you mean by "combine the two slope equations" is that they should be set as equal to each other, and then solved for ##r_i## so it can be substituted into ##F## to "eliminate" it.
Basically, yes, but I'll show you some aesthetically nice manipulations of the math to get everything in a more tractable form. Be back a little later.

Chet

See if you can manipulate the equations in post #36 into the following form:
$$F=\frac{1}{ξ}\left(\frac{2πσ_phr_0^2}{R}\right)\tag{1}$$
where ##ξ=(r_0/r_i)^2## is the solution to the equation:
$$\frac{\ln{ξ}}{ξ}=\frac{2Rδ}{r_0^2}\tag{2}$$
Note that the right hand side of Eqn. 2 is a "dimensionless displacement" which contains only known geometric quantities. You can make a once-and-for-all graph of Eqn. 2 by choosing a selection of values of ξ, and obtaining the corresponding values of ##\frac{2Rδ}{r_0^2}## by evaluating the left hand side of the equation (at each chosen value of ξ). You then plot a graph. This graph can then be used to evaluate F for any arbitrary situation, given the penetration δ, the indenter radius R, the rim radius r0, the preload stress σp and the membrane thickness h.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes. But I strongly advise starting with a book on Strength of Materials which is typically much less intense mathematically.

Ahhh, ok. Strength of Materials first.

Chestermiller said:
I thought from your diagram that the rim was not providing any of the support. This is what I was hoping for.

The rim is there to help make sure the force exerted by each tuning bolt is kept as even as possible over the arc length of the circumference it affects. The stronger it is, be it from a stronger material or thicker walls of the rim, the more even it should be. Now... I could buy a regular rim and drill extra equidistance holes, but as incredibly inexpensive (~$13) as that would be compared to just getting a steel barrel of the needed diameter (~$300), let alone the number spring scales (depending on which range and resolution of force I'll need) and turnbuckles I'll need by default, that's even more money I don't have. Hahaha...

I was just reading back over Hooke's Law out of a WikiBooks entry called 'Strength of Materials',

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Strength_of_Materials/Introductory_Concepts

and only just remembered reading in the past that Mylar is a class of product called BoPET, or Biaxially-Oriented Polyethylene Terephthalate...

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1446834603.184466.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoPET

Then again, maybe the type of Mylar used for drumheads is at least *more* axially isotropic than others... or rather, wouldn't it HAVE to be? or else you would be, technically, distorting the drum rims whenever the drumhead had tension on it, since the x and y axes would stretch at different rates...

For my own sanity I'm going to assume that.

Whenever I try to solve for ##r_i## I keep getting stuck with it either 1) both inside and outside a logarithm, as when I started, or 2) when solved for ##r_0##, it is both a coefficient and an exponent of an exponential function.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1446838122.403865.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1446838122.403865.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 395
I tried solving for the logarithm and ##r_i## separately, but I still don't feel as if I've gotten any warmer,

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447483823.943426.jpg

because by substituting those expressions in it seems I wind up losing ##δ## ...

Regarding your expression ##\frac{ln(ξ)}{ξ}## , I know it is equal to ##\frac{ξ'}{ξ}## , but it's just coincidence that I ran across that little fact.

Chestermiller said:

Chet

The more I work on this the more I wonder if you had accidentally defined ##r_i## twice, as both a radial location and as a radius of its own, because I'm getting frustrated with the problem, and feel as though I can't do anything.

I have tried showing your posts to my Pre-Calculus professor as a 'last ditch' effort (explaining the forum rules beforehand), and after mulling it over even they don't know how to solve for ##r_i##. They did make the concession, though, that its method could be rooted in physics. Way back when they were getting their bachelor's degree, they started in computer science before switching to math.

Chrono G. Xay said:
I have tried showing your posts to my Pre-Calculus professor as a 'last ditch' effort (explaining the forum rules beforehand), and after mulling it over even they don't know how to solve for ##r_i##. They did make the concession, though, that its method could be rooted in physics. Way back when they were getting their bachelor's degree, they started in computer science before switching to math.
I'm sorry. I lost track of your posts in this thread. I will get back with you a little later and show you what I mean.

Chet

This is all algebraic. I'm surprised that your professor was not able to help you. From the two slope equations, you obtained:
$$\frac{δR}{r_i^2}=\ln(r_o/r_i)\tag{1}$$
If I multiply both sides of this equation by ##\left(\frac{r_i}{r_o}\right)^2##, I obtain:
$$\frac{δR}{r_o^2}=\left(\frac{r_i}{r_o}\right)^2\ln(r_o/r_i)=\frac{\ln(r_o/r_i)}{(r_o/r_i)^2}\tag{2}$$
But,$$\ln(r_o/r_i)=\frac{1}{2}\ln(r_o/r_i)^2\tag{3}$$
So, we have:
$$\frac{2δR}{r_o^2}=\frac{\ln(r_o/r_i)^2}{(r_o/r_i)^2}\tag{4}$$
OK so far?

Chet