Cant find an appropriate fluids equation

• Thread starter ben.herbener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, Ben is asking for an appropriate equation to find the minimum power required to pump blood in the human body. He provides some given values such as average pressure rise, heart rate, and stroke volume. Another user provides a link to a helpful resource and Ben is able to come up with an answer of 1.49 watts.
ben.herbener
Hi guys this is my first post on here, and I like the look of it so far. I've tried to look everywhere for an approprate equation for this question but I can't come up with one, or maybe I am overlooking something.

What is the minimum power (W) required to pump blood in the human body? Assume a total average pressure rise across the heart of 120 mm Hg.
Given: 80 beats per minute, stroke volume of 70ml, volumetric output is 336 liters per hour.

Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben,

Welcome to Physics Forums! It is our policy not to simply give out the answer, but I will give you a good page to help you get started: http://www.rwc.uc.edu/koehler/biophys/3a.html

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for that link it was very helpful. I didn't expect a straight out answer, I was just quoting the problem exactly.

I got 1.49 watts, which sounds about right.

Thanks,
Ben

1. What are the main types of fluids equations?

The main types of fluids equations are the continuity equation, the Navier-Stokes equations, and the energy equation. These equations describe the behavior of fluids in terms of fluid flow, pressure, and temperature.

2. How do I know which fluids equation to use for my research?

The choice of fluids equation depends on the specific characteristics of the fluid being studied and the goals of the research. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the fluid and the desired outcome in order to select the most appropriate equation.

3. Can I use the same fluids equation for both liquid and gas flows?

No, the behavior of liquids and gases is different and therefore requires different equations to describe their flow. The Navier-Stokes equations are commonly used for both liquid and gas flows, but modifications may be necessary for certain scenarios.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in fluids equations?

Yes, fluids equations often involve simplifications and assumptions in order to make the equations more manageable and applicable to real-world situations. Some common assumptions include the fluid being incompressible, inviscid, or in a steady state.

5. Can fluids equations be solved analytically?

Some fluids equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an exact solution can be obtained using mathematical methods. However, many fluids problems are complex and require numerical methods to find a solution.