1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cant find an appropriate fluids equation

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1
    Hi guys this is my first post on here, and I like the look of it so far. I've tried to look everywhere for an approprate equation for this question but I cant come up with one, or maybe Im overlooking something.

What is the minimum power (W) required to pump blood in the human body? Assume a total average pressure rise across the heart of 120 mm Hg.
    Given: 80 beats per minute, stroke volume of 70ml, volumetric output is 336 liters per hour.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ben,

Welcome to Physics Forums! It is our policy not to simply give out the answer, but I will give you a good page to help you get started: http://www.rwc.uc.edu/koehler/biophys/3a.html

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  4. Apr 5, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much for that link it was very helpful. I didn't expect a straight out answer, I was just quoting the problem exactly.

I got 1.49 watts, which sounds about right.

Thanks,
    Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?