1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't finish equation solving step :p area between functions

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The two functions are x2 and mx, where m is a positive constant. I'm asked to find the value for m where the region enclosed between the two equations in the first quadrant is equal to 8.

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

Since m is a constant, x2 and mx intersect at x = 0 and x = m. So therefore, the area between the equations would be:

([itex]\frac{m}{2}[/itex]x2 - [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]x3)|[itex]^{m}_{0}[/itex]

Which simplifies to:

[itex]\frac{m}{2}[/itex]m2 - [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]m3

So clearly all I need to do is set it equal to 8 and solve... however, I'm having major issues actually accomplishing this. I can't see how to get it so I just have m = (constant). Can anyone help? I know the answer I'm trying to get is ~3.63424 but no clue how to get there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    m^3(1/2 - 1/3)=8
    just get m^3 on one side by multiplying/dividing the equation by some appropriate number?

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    My gosh, I didn't even notice that (m/2)(m^2) simplified to 1/2m^3. I feel so stupid now! Thank you :) I've been trying to solve it keeping the three different powers of m

5. Mar 7, 2012 #4
    no problem =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook