Can't re-arrange equation

• Thread starter dscot
  • Start date
In summary, The speaker has been struggling to rearrange an equation involving sigma(s) for a few days. However, the problem is that sigma(s) appears twice in the equation and they always end up with complex roots instead of a single equation. They note that the exponential should not be under the square root. They thank the person for responding and express their concern about not being able to solve the equation for sigma(s) in their lab experiment. The other person reassures them that the equation can be solved numerically and suggests that there may be other constraints that can help discard one of the solutions.
dscot
Hi,

I've been having some problems trying to re-arrange this equation for a few days now, the problem is that sigma(s) appears twice in the equation: http://screencast.com/t/dlDwH4eIcp

The problem seems to be that I always end up with complex roots rather than a single equation for sigma(s).

Note the exponential should not be under the square root.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are trying to do...

It is pretty obvious from looking at the equation, that an expression for sigma_s will be multi-valued, and will only be real for certain values of theta and sigma_l.

Hi f95toli,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

Thats what I was afraid, I'm basically carrying out this experiment in the lab and have all the other values but couldn't get this equation solved for sigma(s).

I'm not too sure what to do if there's no way the equation can be solved?

Of course it can be solved. Assuming the other parameters are in the right range you can easily find the real roots by solving it numerically (I am here assuming that there are physical reasons for why sigma_s can't be complex).

Perhaps there are other constraints that will allow you to discard one of the solutions?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your equation. It can be frustrating when you are unable to re-arrange an equation, but don't worry, this is a common problem in mathematics and science. Without seeing the specific equation you are working with, it is difficult for me to provide a specific solution. However, here are some general tips for re-arranging equations:

1. Start by identifying the variable you want to solve for. In this case, it seems like you want to solve for sigma(s).

2. Look for any patterns or relationships between the terms in the equation. For example, do you notice any common factors or terms that can be combined? This can help simplify the equation and make it easier to work with.

3. Use algebraic properties and rules to manipulate the equation. This can include distributing, factoring, and combining like terms. Remember to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

4. If you end up with complex roots, it could mean that your equation has more than one solution. Consider whether this makes sense in the context of your problem and if there are any restrictions on the values of the variables.

5. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the equation into smaller parts and solving each part separately. Then, combine the solutions to get the final answer.

I hope these tips help you in re-arranging your equation. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to seek help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor. Keep practicing and don't give up, you will eventually find a solution. Best of luck!

1. Why can't I re-arrange an equation?

Re-arranging an equation involves manipulating the terms and variables within it to isolate a specific variable. However, not all equations can be re-arranged because some may have multiple solutions or may not be solvable using algebraic methods.

2. Can I always re-arrange an equation to solve for a variable?

No, not all equations can be re-arranged to solve for a specific variable. Some equations may have multiple variables and cannot be solved for a single variable without additional information.

3. What should I do if I can't re-arrange an equation?

If you cannot re-arrange an equation, try using other methods such as substitution or trial and error to solve for the desired variable. Alternatively, you can also use software or graphing calculators to find a solution.

4. Is it important to re-arrange an equation?

Re-arranging an equation can make it easier to understand and solve, but it is not always necessary. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods to solve the equation without re-arranging it.

5. Can I re-arrange an equation in any way I want?

No, when re-arranging an equation, you must follow the rules of algebra and maintain the equality of both sides of the equation. Any manipulations done to one side must also be done to the other side in order to maintain a valid equation.