1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance and E-field of a parallel plate capacitor

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2u6zr85.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the E-field is definitely affected by the presence of the space charges. Since one side is positive, the positive charges in the air get pushed towards the negative plate.

so

Enet = Eplate - Echarges

But the thing is I don't know how the distribution of the charges will end up as, and hence how to calculate Enet.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The distribution of the space charge does not change, the charges do not move.

ehild

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    Then surely the E-field would be σ/ε0?

But in the answer, clearly the E-field depends on x.

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4
    The charges do not move. We clearly have an E field between the 2 plates due to the charge in the middle. Considering V=0 , we can see the electric field inside would be zero in the middle, positive in one side and negative in the other. This way -[itex]\int \vec{E} \vec{dx}[/itex] = ΔV = 0, so the charges do not affect the voltage of the capacitor, as well as its capacitance. Now considering V≠0, by the superposing theorem we can add the V/d to the electric field due to the charges in the middle (this electric field will only be zero in x=d/2).

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5
    I see what you mean..The problem here is that I'm trying to think about how the space charges are distributed and what the E-field due to them would be.

Let's just take all space charge to be positive Q. Thus ρ = Q/V
    At midway there are equal amount of positive charge on top and bottom, so the E-field strength would be equal and cancel.

But as you move closer to the bottom, there are more positive charges above.

But I still do not know how the E-field depends on the number of charges and distance...We could model them as a solid rectangular block whose E-field is only perpendicular to the surface but the question remains: How does the E-field strength change with distance?

This question is under the topic of Capacitance...

7. Feb 22, 2013 #6
    The charges are uniformly distributed. Consider each rectangle (as you sad) to be a positive plate of a capacitor. We know the E field due to a infinite plate is σ/2ε0. But the σ of each of them would be different right?
    How can we write σ in function of ρ, x and d?

8. Feb 22, 2013 #7
    Ok i think i got the answer!

Take a thin rectangular block of thickness dx and area A.

Amount of charge in that block=
    dQ = p (dV)

σ = (dQ)/A = (p/A)dV = p dx

dE = σ/2ε = (p/2ε) dx

Thus E = integral from 0 to d-x of dE - integral from 0 to x = (p/2ε)(d-x) + (p/2ε)(-x) = (p/2ε)(d-2x)

as bottom the E-field points upwards while at the top the E-field points downwards

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook