Capacitance and E-field of a parallel plate capacitor

In summary: The charges are uniformly distributed. Consider each rectangle (as you sad) to be a positive plate of a capacitor. We know the E field due to a infinite plate is σ/2ε0. But the σ of each of them would be different right?How can we write σ in function of ρ, x and d?Ok i think i got the answer!Take a thin rectangular block of thickness dx and area A.Amount of charge in that block= dQ = p (dV)σ = (dQ)/A = (p/A)dV = p dxdE = σ/2ε = (p/
unscientific

Homework Statement

2u6zr85.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the E-field is definitely affected by the presence of the space charges. Since one side is positive, the positive charges in the air get pushed towards the negative plate.

so

Enet = Eplate - Echarges

But the thing is I don't know how the distribution of the charges will end up as, and hence how to calculate Enet.

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

2u6zr85.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the E-field is definitely affected by the presence of the space charges. Since one side is positive, the positive charges in the air get pushed towards the negative plate.

so

Enet = Eplate - Echarges

But the thing is I don't know how the distribution of the charges will end up as, and hence how to calculate Enet.

The distribution of the space charge does not change, the charges do not move.

ehild

ehild said:
The distribution of the space charge does not change, the charges do not move.

ehild

Then surely the E-field would be σ/ε0?

But in the answer, clearly the E-field depends on x.

The charges do not move. We clearly have an E field between the 2 plates due to the charge in the middle. Considering V=0 , we can see the electric field inside would be zero in the middle, positive in one side and negative in the other. This way -[itex]\int \vec{E} \vec{dx}[/itex] = ΔV = 0, so the charges do not affect the voltage of the capacitor, as well as its capacitance. Now considering V≠0, by the superposing theorem we can add the V/d to the electric field due to the charges in the middle (this electric field will only be zero in x=d/2).

jaumzaum said:
The charges do not move. We clearly have an E field between the 2 plates due to the charge in the middle. Considering V=0 , we can see the electric field inside would be zero in the middle, positive in one side and negative in the other. This way -[itex]\int \vec{E} \vec{dx}[/itex] = ΔV = 0, so the charges do not affect the voltage of the capacitor, as well as its capacitance. Now considering V≠0, by the superposing theorem we can add the V/d to the electric field due to the charges in the middle (this electric field will only be zero in x=d/2).

I see what you mean..The problem here is that I'm trying to think about how the space charges are distributed and what the E-field due to them would be.

Let's just take all space charge to be positive Q. Thus ρ = Q/V
At midway there are equal amount of positive charge on top and bottom, so the E-field strength would be equal and cancel.

But as you move closer to the bottom, there are more positive charges above.

But I still do not know how the E-field depends on the number of charges and distance...We could model them as a solid rectangular block whose E-field is only perpendicular to the surface but the question remains: How does the E-field strength change with distance?

This question is under the topic of Capacitance...

unscientific said:
I see what you mean..The problem here is that I'm trying to think about how the space charges are distributed and what the E-field due to them would be.

Let's just take all space charge to be positive Q. Thus ρ = Q/V
At midway there are equal amount of positive charge on top and bottom, so the E-field strength would be equal and cancel.

But as you move closer to the bottom, there are more positive charges above.

But I still do not know how the E-field depends on the number of charges and distance...We could model them as a solid rectangular block whose E-field is only perpendicular to the surface but the question remains: How does the E-field strength change with distance?

This question is under the topic of Capacitance...

The charges are uniformly distributed. Consider each rectangle (as you sad) to be a positive plate of a capacitor. We know the E field due to a infinite plate is σ/2ε0. But the σ of each of them would be different right?
How can we write σ in function of ρ, x and d?

jaumzaum said:
The charges are uniformly distributed. Consider each rectangle (as you sad) to be a positive plate of a capacitor. We know the E field due to a infinite plate is σ/2ε0. But the σ of each of them would be different right?
How can we write σ in function of ρ, x and d?

Ok i think i got the answer!

Take a thin rectangular block of thickness dx and area A.

Amount of charge in that block=
dQ = p (dV)

σ = (dQ)/A = (p/A)dV = p dx

dE = σ/2ε = (p/2ε) dxThus E = integral from 0 to d-x of dE - integral from 0 to x = (p/2ε)(d-x) + (p/2ε)(-x) = (p/2ε)(d-2x)

as bottom the E-field points upwards while at the top the E-field points downwards

Last edited:

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store electrical charge.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the plates. It can also be calculated by multiplying the area of the plates by the permittivity of the dielectric material between the plates, and dividing by the distance between the plates.

3. What is the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is uniform and perpendicular to the plates. Its magnitude is equal to the magnitude of the potential difference between the plates, divided by the distance between the plates.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance and electric field?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases and the electric field decreases.

5. What is the role of a dielectric material in a parallel plate capacitor?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that is placed between the plates of a capacitor. It helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates and allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.