Capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates

In summary, the individual is working on a project involving the design of a capacitive sensor and needs to compute capacitance using a simulation software like COMSOL. They are looking for a formula to compare their simulation results with theoretical results for plates that are long and thin. However, there is no analytic formula for this type of capacitance.
theHermes5
Hi.

I am working on a project for the design of a capacitive sensor. In order to do that, I am required to compute capacitance using a simulation software like COMSOL. As I want to compare my simulation results with the theoretical results, I would like to know the formula to be used for the capacitance.

It is not C= epsilon0*epsilonR*A/d as the plates are long and thin like this:

------------------- --------------------
| | | |
-------------------- ---------------------

I hope this diagram makes sense. ( Consider the plates to be of large length ( in the order of 0.1mm) and very small width ( in the order of 0.005mm). I want to calculated capacitance between these two plates.

Can you help me with the formula?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your drawing isn't clear. Are the "plates" supposed to be coplanar and end to end (like a ribbon that, halfway down its length, has been cut across to make two shorter ribbons)? If so, there is no analytic formula for capacitance.

Thanks for your reply.

The plates are like as shown in attachment.

Now, can you help me with the capacitance formula?

Attachments

• plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 547
I don't know of any analytic formulas for this case.

Hi there,

The formula for capacitance between two parallel plates is indeed C = ε0 * εr * A / d, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of each plate, and d is the distance between the plates.

In the case of long, thin plates, the formula can still be used as long as the distance between the plates is much smaller than the length of the plates. In this case, the capacitance can be approximated as C = ε0 * εr * (l / π) * ln(b / a), where l is the length of the plates, b is the distance between the edges of the plates, and a is the width of the plates.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What is capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates?

Capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates is a measure of the ability of the plates to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the stored charge on the plates to the potential difference between them.

How is capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates calculated?

The capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What factors affect capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates?

The factors that affect capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates include the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the permittivity of the material between the plates. Additionally, the dielectric constant of the material between the plates and the shape of the plates can also affect capacitance.

How does the distance between two adjacent long thin plates affect capacitance?

The capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases. This is because the electric field strength decreases as the distance between the plates increases, resulting in a lower ability to store charge.

What is the significance of capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates?

The capacitance between two adjacent long thin plates is an important concept in electronics and electrical engineering. It is used in various applications such as in capacitors, filters, and transmission lines. Understanding capacitance is crucial for designing and analyzing circuits and systems.