1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inserting a conductor in a parallel-plate capacitor

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1
    Consider a parallel plate capacitor formed by two plates of length ##L## and width ##d##, separated by a distance ##e##. There is a vacuum in between the plates. Let's note the capacitance of this arrangement ##C_0##.

I insert a conducting plate of length ##l=L/2##, with ##D##, and thickness ##e' <<e##. The position of the plate is measured by its ##(x,y)## coordinates, as shown below:
    uKSaN.jpg

I would like to find the equivalent capacitance of this apparatus in terms of the distance ##x##.

Of course if ##x<0##, the conductor is not inserted at all so the capacitance remains unchanged, ##C_0##.

Consider the case where the conductor is inserted partially, i.e ##0<x<l##.

According to my notes, in this case the apparatus is equivalent to the arrangement of capacitors below:

34tCi.jpg

where

##C_1=\frac{\epsilon_0Dx}{e-y-e'}##

##C_2=\frac{\epsilon_0Dx}{y}##

##C_3=\frac{\epsilon_0D(L-x)}{e}##

**I do not understand why this configuration is equivalent to the arrangement of capacitors given above.**

I guess ##C_1## is the capacitor formed by the top plate and the conductor, ##C_2## the capacitor formed by the bottom plate and the conductor, and ##C_3## the capacitor formed by the conductor itself. However this leaves me confused as the capacitance for the conductor should then be:

##C_3=\frac{\epsilon_0Dx}{e}##

Finally, if we now consider the case where the conductor is fully inserted, i.e ##l<x<L##, then apparently the capacitor arrangement changes completely and we now actually have four capacitors (2 in series, which are parallel with the other two). I don't understand why.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

As Sherlock Holmes would say: then the logical conclusion is that your guess was wrong ....

Look at ##C_3##: is your guess logical if e.g. ##x=0## ?

4. Nov 6, 2017 #3
    As BvU has suggested, the issue is with your interpretation of ##C_{3}##. The capacitor ##C_{3}## is considered to be the capacitance of the space to the right of the conductor, leading to the form of ##C_{3}## given in your notes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted