Capacitance calculation by using conformal mapping

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conformal mapping for calculating the capacitance of a sphere-plane system. Some participants suggest using images or integration of a surface of revolution as an easier approach, while others argue that conformal mapping can be applied in 3D problems as well. The difficulty lies in finding the electric field, which is necessary for determining the capacitance.
asmani
Hi all

How to calculate the capacitance of a sphere-plane system by using conformal mapping?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
asmani,

just wondering why you would want to use conformal mapping for this. Conformal mapping applies to 2D problems. Your problem looks 3D, although with azimuthal symmetry it can be made 2D. You would have to work out a lot of details to make this work, if it works at all. Sounds painful to me.

An easier approach would be to use images. Now, this is pretty challenging for an image problem, but some textbooks get you most of the way there. Once you understand the solution for a point charge near a conducting sphere, you are most of the way there.

good luck,

jason

hi asmani! :wink:

i don't know much about this …

in goldfish college, we don't have electricity labs, for obvious reasons :redface:

but looking only at the geometry, i wonder whether it would help to make a conformal map onto a pair of concentric spheres? :smile:

Thanks a lot for the replies.
tiny-tim said:
but looking only at the geometry, i wonder whether it would help to make a conformal map onto a pair of concentric spheres? :smile:
Yes, I think it helps.

Apparently there is a theorem saying that the capacitance of a 2D system is unaffected by a conformal mapping. I'm not sure if this holds in 3D.

I have seen the solution by using the method of images and apparently the capacitance calculated by this method has not a closed form.

As we know, the capacitance of a pair of concentric spheres with radius R1 and R2 has a closed form expression in terms of R1 and R2.

Let's assume the radius of the sphere is R, the distance between its center and the plane is d and the above theorem holds in 3D. If the sphere-plane system is mapped by a conformal mapping to a pair of concentric spheres with radius R1 and R2, then R1 and R2 have not a closed form expression in terms of R and d, unless one of the above assumptions is not true.

Last edited:
The thing is, there's not a lot of useful conformal mappings in 3D . Rotations, translations, uniform scaling, and that's it. Well, you may also include mirroring.

The sphere-plane capacitance is solved on page 131 in Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity (Third edition).

Bob S

Thanks Bob, I'm looking for the solution by using conformal mapping.

tiny-tim said:

Do you know such a mapping?

asmani said:
Do you know such a mapping?

sorry, no …

i can't even find anywhere to look it up :redface:

jasonRF said:
asmani,

just wondering why you would want to use conformal mapping for this. Conformal mapping applies to 2D problems. Your problem looks 3D, although with azimuthal symmetry it can be made 2D. You would have to work out a lot of details to make this work, if it works at all. Sounds painful to me.

An easier approach would be to use images. Now, this is pretty challenging for an image problem, but some textbooks get you most of the way there. Once you understand the solution for a point charge near a conducting sphere, you are most of the way there.

good luck,

jason

obviously I was wrong ... I learned conformal mapping in complex analysis and have only used for solving 2D problems. This thread, and google, have set me straight. Thanks! I haven't figured out how to solve your problem, though ...

jason

Did you folks not learn about integration of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_of_revolution" ? Particularly in this case of sphere-plane you have the right symmetry for that. So yes, of course you can use conformal mapping for 3D. Just revolve the result of the conformal transform for the area and use the normals for the distance.

Just go back to the derivation of capacitance for all the standard geometric cases (parallel plate, two wires, etc). The common feature for all: you have integration over area S for the charge and integration of over distance d for the voltage. Then it's just C = Q/V

A little math but not that much really. Should be a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
jsgruszynski said:
Did you folks not learn about integration of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_of_revolution" ?
Of course we did.

jsgruszynski said:
Just revolve the result of the conformal transform for the area and use the normals for the distance.

I have no idea what this means ... Could you please explain?

jsgruszynski said:
Just go back to the derivation of capacitance for all the standard geometric cases (parallel plate, two wires, etc). The common feature for all: you have integration over area S for the charge and integration of over distance d for the voltage. Then it's just C = Q/V

A little math but not that much really. Should be a no brainer.

Of course, once you know the potential (or equivalently the electric field) then you just follow the recipe you mentioned. The hard part is finding the field, which is of course the hard part of the OP question. The parallel plate problem is "easy" if you ignore edge effects (which I am guessing is what you are talking about), but if you want to truly solve for the capacitance of two finite parallel plates it is quite difficult to determine the field, and hence the capacitance.

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is conformal mapping and how is it used in capacitance calculation?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to map one complex plane onto another. In capacitance calculation, conformal mapping is used to transform the geometry of a capacitor into a simpler form, making it easier to calculate the capacitance.

2. What is the benefit of using conformal mapping over other methods for capacitance calculation?

Conformal mapping allows for the use of known mathematical techniques to solve complex capacitance problems. It also simplifies the calculation process and can provide a more accurate result compared to other methods.

3. Is conformal mapping applicable to all types of capacitors?

Yes, conformal mapping can be used for any type of capacitor as long as the geometry can be expressed in terms of complex variables.

4. How do boundary conditions play a role in the calculation of capacitance using conformal mapping?

Boundary conditions are essential in conformal mapping as they define the geometry of the capacitor and help determine the appropriate conformal mapping function. They also ensure that the electric field is continuous and satisfies the boundary conditions at the interface of different materials.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using conformal mapping for capacitance calculation?

One of the main challenges in using conformal mapping for capacitance calculation is finding the appropriate conformal mapping function for a specific geometry. It also requires a good understanding of complex analysis and can be time-consuming for complex geometries.