Capacitance needed to heat Nichrome wire 34°

In summary, Michael is working on a portable heating circuit that uses an ultracapacitor to increase the temperature of a wire by 34° in 6 seconds. The question is, what capacitance does the ultracapacitor have to have in order for the heat to be effective? The initial values are that the specific heat of Nichrome is 450 J/(kg ∆K), the density of Nichrome is 8400 kg/m3, and the resistivity of Nichrome is 1e-6 Ωm. Calculated values show that the mass of Nichrome is 0.015 kg, the resistance of the wire is 2.25e-6 Ω, and the heat needed to
mLuby
Hi PF!

I'm working on a portable heating circuit. I'd like to use an ultracapacitor charged by 2 AA batteries to increase the temperature of 2.25m of 1mm Nichrome wire by 34° in 6 seconds.

The question is, what capacitance does the ultracapacitor have to have?

Initial values:
• Specific Heat of Nichrome: 450 J/(kg ∆K)
• Density of Nichrome: 8400 kg/m3
• Resistivity of Nichrome: 1e-6 Ωm

Calculated values:
• Mass of Nichrome: 0.015 kg = density*wire length*π*(wire diameter/2)^2
• Resistance of wire: 2.25e-6 Ω = resistivity/wire length
• Heat needed to cause temp change: 229.5 J = specific heat*mass*temp change
• Current needed for Joule heating: 10100 A = √(Heat needed/resistance of wire)
• Capacitance needed 51 F = heat needed / (0.5 * voltage^2)

So I'm confused about the relationship between the current needed to cause the appropriate Joule heating in the wire and the energy stored in the capacitor. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to calculate the energy needed to raise the wire temperature, and then match that to the capacitor's stored energy. To get that in 6 seconds means you then need to match the resistance of the wire to the capacitance to get the appropriate time constant.

As you note, the resistivity of nichrome is between 1.0e−6 and 1.5e−6 Ωm. But that actually means the resistance between two opposite faces of a 1m cube of nichrome is about 1.25 millionths of an ohm.

To calculate your wire's resistance;
You have 2.25m of 1mm diameter wire. Cross section of 1mm diameter is Pi / 4 = 0.785 mm2
One square metre is 1,000,000. square mm = 1e6 mm2.
Your wire will therefore have a resistance of 2.25m * (1.25e-6) * (1e6 / 0.785) = 3.5828 ohms.

I think that will make a slight difference to your numbers. By 6 orders of magnitude !

Likes 1 person
Thanks Baluncore, I'd totally missed that. Recalculating:

• Wire resistance: 3.6 Ω = resistivity * wire length * cross section area of 1m^3 / wire cross section area
• Current needed for Joule heating: 8.0 A = √(heat needed / wire resistance
• Time to discharge 2/3 energy: 180 s = resistance * capacitance

8 A is a lot more realistic than 10.1 kA!

So if I short a charged 50F 3V ultracapacitor across 2.25m of nichrome 1mm wire, it should heat 34°C in 3 minutes, right?

I'm concerned that there isn't a more explicit relationship between the current needed and the capacitance of the ultracap.

Ohm's Law says I = V / R
Vc = 3V, R = 3.6 ohm therefore I = 0.833 amp maximum.
You must juggle your resistance if your peak voltage is fixed.

Are you deliberately neglecting thermal conductive and convective cooling of the wire?
That cooling will be proportional to temperature above ambient. How is your Nichrome wire mounted in what environment ?

Hmm, maybe nichrome isn't the right material, or 1mm isn't the best thickness.

Yes, I am ignoring cooling for now. The application is a steering wheel heater, so it needs to go from 0°F to 60°F very quickly (≤6s) but then the hands will keep it at temperature. The wire will be split between two pads, zig-zagging back and forth to completely fill the pads' area.

Energy in the capacitor is 0.5 * Cap * volt^2 joule
So; 2 * Energy = Cap * v^2
Therefore; Cap = (2 * Energy) / v^2
But Vmax is fixed at 3V.
You say you need 230J which requires 2 * 230 / 9 = 51.1 farad.
But you will be unable to get all that energy out of the capacitor in 6 seconds.
So you will require more capacitance, maybe double.

Computing temperature form the information you have given is VERY difficult, if not impossible. To get a meaningful temperature you have to know ALL heat exchanges occurring. How much heat will be lost from your wire? For example if it is in water you have a vastly different result then in a vacuum. Even small air currents will effect the final temperature. If your environment is not very stable you will get a different temperature every time you run your heater.

Good point Integral, but to make this easy I'm just interested in the heat a capacitor can generate via short circuit.

I'm now investigating lead, nichrome and copper as potential heating elements. So far lead seems to be the best in terms of requiring the lowest voltage. Any suggestions on other materials to consider?

Here are the equations and values I'm using: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oarnxyyy5r30tsy/heater.py

1. How does capacitance affect the heating of Nichrome wire?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in the heating of Nichrome wire as it determines the amount of current that can flow through the wire. The higher the capacitance, the more current can flow, resulting in a higher heating effect.

2. What is the ideal capacitance for heating Nichrome wire to 34°?

The ideal capacitance for heating Nichrome wire to 34° may vary depending on the specific wire and heating conditions. It is best to consult a heating expert or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific wire being used.

3. How does the length and gauge of Nichrome wire affect the required capacitance for heating?

The length and gauge of Nichrome wire can affect the required capacitance for heating. Longer wires and thicker gauges will have higher resistance, requiring a higher capacitance to achieve the desired heating effect.

4. Can the capacitance needed for heating Nichrome wire be calculated?

Yes, the capacitance needed for heating Nichrome wire can be calculated using the formula C = I/(2πfV), where C is capacitance in farads, I is current in amperes, f is frequency in Hertz, and V is voltage in volts.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the capacitance needed for heating Nichrome wire?

Yes, it is important to consider safety when determining the capacitance needed for heating Nichrome wire. Make sure to use proper insulation and follow recommended guidelines to prevent any potential hazards such as overheating or electrical shock.