What Is the Capacitance of Coaxial Infinite Cylinders?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the capacitance of two coaxial infinite cylinders with the condition that r_{1} < r_{2}. The attempt at a solution yields an expression that is inversely proportional to Ln (r_{1}/r_{2}), but in order to make it infinite, the two radii would have to become infinitesimally small, which leads to an indeterminate solution. The person asking the question wonders if they have done something wrong or if they need to rewrite the expression in terms of an approximate expansion. The responder suggests that the problem may actually be asking for the capacitance per unit length, which would result in a finite solution.
Void123

Homework Statement

I have two coaxial infinite cylinders and I must find their capacitance, where [tex]r_{1} < r_{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer (for finite cylinders) that is inversely proportional to [tex]Ln (r_{1}/r_{2})[/tex].

Assuming this answer is correct (if someone can check it), in order to make it infinite the two radii have to become infinitesimally small (0) correct? If I do this though, I get an indeterminate in the argument of log.

Have I done this wrong or must I rewrite my expression in terms of some approximate expansion?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure the problem isn't asking you for the capacitance per unit length?

I am sure. I don't see how significant that is either, since I would just divide my expression by [tex]l[/tex]. But, the road block at the moment is trying to infinitesimally minimize the radii so as to give me a finite solution.

It's significant because the reason you get an infinite answer is because [itex]l[/itex] is infinite. Typically, this type of question asks you for the capacitance per unit length, which is a finite number.

Void123 said:
in order to make it infinite the two radii have to become infinitesimally small (0) correct?

No, in order two make the two cylinders infinitely long, you just make them longer.

FAQ: What Is the Capacitance of Coaxial Infinite Cylinders?

1. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of an infinite cylinder?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of an infinite cylinder is C = 2πε0l, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and l is the length of the cylinder.

2. How does the radius of an infinite cylinder affect its capacitance?

The capacitance of an infinite cylinder is directly proportional to the radius of the cylinder. This means that as the radius increases, the capacitance also increases.

3. Can an infinite cylinder have a negative capacitance?

No, an infinite cylinder cannot have a negative capacitance. Capacitance is a physical property that represents the ability of a system to store electrical energy.

4. What factors can affect the capacitance of an infinite cylinder?

The capacitance of an infinite cylinder can be affected by its material, geometry, and surrounding environment. For example, the type of material used for the cylinder can affect its permittivity and thus its capacitance.

5. How is the capacitance of an infinite cylinder related to its electric field?

The capacitance of an infinite cylinder is proportional to the electric field inside the cylinder. This means that as the electric field increases, the capacitance also increases.

Back