Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Capacitance of infinite cylinders

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two coaxial infinite cylinders and I must find their capacitance, where [tex]r_{1} < r_{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got an answer (for finite cylinders) that is inversely proportional to [tex]Ln (r_{1}/r_{2})[/tex].

Assuming this answer is correct (if someone can check it), in order to make it infinite the two radii have to become infinitesimally small (0) correct? If I do this though, I get an indeterminate in the argument of log.

Have I done this wrong or must I rewrite my expression in terms of some approximate expansion?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Capacitance

Are you sure the problem isn't asking you for the capacitance per unit length?

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3

I am sure. I don't see how significant that is either, since I would just divide my expression by [tex]l[/tex]. But, the road block at the moment is trying to infinitesimally minimize the radii so as to give me a finite solution.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's significant because the reason you get an infinite answer is because [itex]l[/itex] is infinite. Typically, this type of question asks you for the capacitance per unit length, which is a finite number.

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, in order two make the two cylinders infinitely long, you just make them longer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook