1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of parallet plate with dielectric spheres in between

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    I want to calculate the capacitance of a system consisting a parallel plate and dielectric spheres of different radius and dielectric strength in between the plates.
    please give some mathematical derivation.
    I really need to know it,my career depends on it.
    Please help me.
    :)
    thanks & regards
    ruhi

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2
    capacitance in parallel is same as resistor in series and vice versa.
    c = permittivity*dielectric*area/distance

If you have a sphere, it will be an integration of series of capacitance depending on the diameter of the sphere at different location. At the tip of the sphere, the dielectric distance/space is less compared to the middle of the sphere. For example if you had a circle, the diameter maybe say 1m, but it is not 1m x 1m. Instead it is 1m diameter but as you cut and move along the circle, it becomes 0.99m,0.98m,0.979999m etc.

For start, i suggest using a square dielectric. Take 3 squares, with 2 of them being the same length but 1/2 the length of the first one. Put the 2 smaller square in series (next to each other). Stack the bigger square on top of them. The circuit will look just like 2 resistor in series parallel with the other.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This might be a situation where doing a measurement is much easier than doing the calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?