Capacitive soil moisture sensor using TLC555

In summary: I have included the schematics.The Output is connected to GND through a capacitor and a resistance, which means that Essentially no pulses will appear on Output.
akaliuseheal
Hello everybody,

I have made soil moisture sensor and it kinda works. It is a capacative sensor not resistive sensor based upon TLC555 which has a role to create square wave. Square wave is brought to a homemade capacitor. Capacitance changes with change of moisture. Output is measured voltage on impedance (I have included the schematics).
Since it is capacative sensor, it should work when it is not directly exposed to water (in a plastic bag for expample) but it does not. Voltage remains constant when I submerge it in water while it is in a plastic bag but works when submerged without the bag. Homemade capacitor is made of copper plate like in the video. This should work, right? Have I made a mistake soldering it together?

schematics.jpg

TLC555: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/28905/TI/TLC555.html
Youtube link: (06:52 for capacative type sensor)

Edit: Voltage is 5V

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why aren't the sensor GND and the IC GND connected?

Likes davenn
They are, every ground including that "GND" is connected.

Do you have any idea what the capacitance is dry? and moist?

anorlunda said:
Do you have any idea what the capacitance is dry? and moist?
Vaule of C when submerged and when it is in the air? If that is what you asked, what I measured is 120pF when in air and 4.5nF when fully submerged. I measured it with cheep multimeter and wires used for connecting were around 70pF. Voltage measured when in air is 4.66V (when touching it with hand, voltage drops to around 3V and drops again when the slightest amount of water gets on it) , when fully submerged it gets down to 90mV and starts rising slowly.

220pF in schematics is changed to 330pF.
Vcc is 5V

Try it with no (or very little) air in the bag. The closer the water is to the sensor the more responsive the circuit will be.

Do you get the same results with and without bag when using distilled water?

Also what is the measured capacitance of the sensor when in the bag, both when in air and submersed in water?

It had no air, I used a tape like one in image provided
tn_1970.jpg

I see no reason to test it with distilled water since it won't be used with distilled water and I do not have it.

Capacitance does change even when it is covered with tape or a bag. I don't have the numbers right now but that part of a sensor works just fine.

However, measured voltage does not, only when copper plate is directly exposed to water.

akaliuseheal said:
However, measured voltage does not, only when copper plate is directly exposed to water.
That's why the distilled water test. I suspect the reason it works only when in contact with the water is because conductivity is being sensed, masking any capacitance change. Clean distilled water has very low conductivity and would confirm/eliminate that possibility. If you are in the USA, distilled water is available for about USD $1 in larger grocery stores. Or you can boil some water on the stove and collect the steam as condensate.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes DaveE, dlgoff and anorlunda
Tom.G said:
conductivity is being sensed, masking any capacitance change

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had a chance to test it since I was busy. If that is true, does that mean that I will need a larger capacitance. I have not used the same size copper plate as shown in the video, it is more like the size of that arduino sensor.

Last edited:
You need a circuit where small changes in capacitance cause a measurable effect, and changes in resistance can be separated or ignored. Perhaps an oscillator bridge which changes frequency when capacitance changes. To design it you need estimates of the minimum and maximum capacitance.

Caveat: I am not a circuit designer. I know the principles, but other PF members can help with more specifics.

Likes sophiecentaur
Measure the resistance of the sensor itself both in and out of water. Use your Ohmmeter on its highest range.

You need an insulating coating on all sensor/conductive surfaces that get damp/wet, the thinner the coating the better. Just painting it with some oil based paint may last long enough for testing. Or glue a layer of a thin plastic bag over the sensor. Spread on a thin layer of glue, then rub the plastic to squeeze out excess glue and air bubbles.

For longer term use, a coat of epoxy would be better.

Cheers,
Tom

you forgot the diode

In the circuit shown in post #1 there are two things I cannot quite understand:
  • You have drawn GND and Output as attached to a connector. What about VDD?
  • The Output is connected to GND through a capacitor and a resistance, which means that
    • Essentially no pulses will appear on Output
    • A highly capacitive load is connected to OUT. Is that allowed according to the specs?

akaliuseheal said:
I measured is 120pF when in air and 4.5nF when fully submerged.

You have a 1uf capacitor in parallel with your probe. the dry capacitance is therefore 1.000120uF and the wet capacitance is 1.0045uF. This is less than half a percent difference.

Also the probe is connected to the output.

marcuspoulton said:
you forgot the diode

I found the circuit akaliuseheal is trying to build. The diode and a 1nF capacitor makes much more sense.

BoB

1. What is a capacitive soil moisture sensor?

A capacitive soil moisture sensor is a type of sensor that measures the amount of water in the soil by using the principle of capacitance. It works by detecting changes in the electrical charge of the soil, which is directly related to the amount of moisture present.

2. How does a capacitive soil moisture sensor work?

A capacitive soil moisture sensor works by using two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material (such as soil). When the soil is dry, it has a low dielectric constant, which means the capacitance between the plates is low. As the soil becomes more moist, its dielectric constant increases, leading to a higher capacitance between the plates. This change in capacitance is measured and converted into a moisture reading.

3. What is the advantage of using a TLC555 for a capacitive soil moisture sensor?

The TLC555 is a timer IC that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It has a low power consumption, high stability, and can operate in a wide range of temperatures. These features make it an ideal choice for a capacitive soil moisture sensor as it can accurately measure moisture levels while consuming minimal power.

4. How accurate is a capacitive soil moisture sensor using TLC555?

The accuracy of a capacitive soil moisture sensor using TLC555 depends on various factors such as the quality of the components used, the calibration process, and environmental conditions. With proper calibration and regular maintenance, these sensors can provide accurate readings within a range of 2-5%.

5. Can a capacitive soil moisture sensor using TLC555 be used for different types of soil?

Yes, a capacitive soil moisture sensor using TLC555 can be used for different types of soil. However, it is important to note that the sensor will need to be calibrated for each type of soil to ensure accurate readings. Different types of soil have different dielectric constants, which can affect the capacitance readings. Therefore, calibration is necessary to account for these variations.