1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor and Inductor in Series

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Hi, if you have a capacitor and inductor in series connected to an Alternating Supply, do their reactances add up?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Yes, reactance behaves just like resistance in resistive circuits.
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    Ummm, they add like this 5 & 4 = 1.

Capactitive reactance is 180 degrees out of phase from inductive reactance, so you actually subtract one from the another.

It's good to go back to the definitions. In series,

[tex]Z= i\omega L + \frac{1}{i\omega C}[/tex]

where [tex]X_{L}=Im(Z)[/tex]
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  5. May 20, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I miswrote, sorry. I thought I saw "impedance" instead of "reactance". But why are you considering reactances and not impedances? The former is part of the latter.
  6. Aug 14, 2010 #5
    I have a generator that needs a new capasitor and I cannot find one any where! can someone tell me what size I need for a kawaqsaki 5.0 ops FA210D modle number: GGK-26-B serile number KJ19-78B
    KW: 2.65 Amps:22 KVA: 2.65 Phase:1
    voltage: 120 RPM:3600
    HZ: 60
    would appriciate anyons help!
    or give me a formula,? PLZ.
  7. Aug 14, 2010 #6
    [tex] = i\omega L - \frac{i}{\omega C} [/tex]

because: 1/i = -i

So, they subtract.
  8. Aug 14, 2010 #7
    it has been 12 years since i graduated collage, and cant quit understand the formula, I wired two capasitors together and now I am pushing 175 volts out of this generator??? cannot rember wat I did?? I am a licenced electrician, and I guess its been to long since I have had to figure this stuff out!
  9. Aug 14, 2010 #8
    goin to get my books out real quick!
  10. Aug 14, 2010 #9
    do not understand wat L = wat I know is P=wats I = amps E=volts R=omes
  11. Aug 14, 2010 #10
    I guess I AM
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?