Capacitor and Inductor in Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 18K views
richardstan
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, if you have a capacitor and inductor in series connected to an Alternating Supply, do their reactances add up?
Thanks
Richard.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm, they add like this 5 & 4 = 1.

Capactitive reactance is 180 degrees out of phase from inductive reactance, so you actually subtract one from the another.

It's good to go back to the definitions. In series,

[tex]Z= i\omega L + \frac{1}{i\omega C}[/tex]

where [tex]X_{L}=Im(Z)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I miswrote, sorry. I thought I saw "impedance" instead of "reactance". But why are you considering reactances and not impedances? The former is part of the latter.
 
I have a generator that needs a new capasitor and I cannot find one any where! can someone tell me what size I need for a kawaqsaki 5.0 ops FA210D modle number: GGK-26-B serile number KJ19-78B
KW: 2.65 Amps:22 KVA: 2.65 Phase:1
voltage: 120 RPM:3600
HZ: 60
would appreciate anyons help!
russhart70
or give me a formula,? PLZ.
 
Phrak said:
[tex]Z= i\omega L + \frac{1}{i\omega C}[/tex]
[tex]= i\omega L - \frac{i}{\omega C}[/tex]

because: 1/i = -i

So, they subtract.
 
it has been 12 years since i graduated collage, and can't quit understand the formula, I wired two capasitors together and now I am pushing 175 volts out of this generator? cannot rember wat I did?? I am a licenced electrician, and I guess its been to long since I have had to figure this stuff out!
 
do not understand wat L = wat I know is P=wats I = amps E=volts R=omes