Capacitor substitution for TEA nitrogen laser

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of strontium titanate ceramic caps in place of aluminum foil/plastic dialectic caps for a TEA nitrogen laser project. The person is asking for input on the viability of this substitution and the potential benefits. They also mention considering HV doorknob caps as an alternative.
guipenguin
My next project is to build a simple TEA nitrogen laser, as seen here: http://photonics.tfp.uni-karlsruhe.de/1/a-homemade-uv-laser.html

Would it be acceptable to substitute two strontium titanate ceramic caps, each rated 50KVDC @ 910pf, in place of the suggested aluminum foil / plastic dialectic plate caps?

My hypothesis would be if such materials were available than it would be beneficial for lower losses would be encountered with a commercial capacitor.

Let me know what you think about using a couple HV doorknob caps here.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
guipenguin said:
My next project is to build a simple TEA nitrogen laser, as seen here: http://photonics.tfp.uni-karlsruhe.de/1/a-homemade-uv-laser.html

Would it be acceptable to substitute two strontium titanate ceramic caps, each rated 50KVDC @ 910pf, in place of the suggested aluminum foil / plastic dialectic plate caps?

My hypothesis would be if such materials were available than it would be beneficial for lower losses would be encountered with a commercial capacitor.

Let me know what you think about using a couple HV doorknob caps here.

Thanks,
John
What is the capacitance of the foil/plastic capacitors? Equivalent to your ceramics?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your project with me. Building a TEA nitrogen laser is a great way to explore the principles of laser technology. In regards to your question about capacitor substitution, I would say that it is certainly possible to use strontium titanate ceramic caps in place of the suggested aluminum foil/plastic dialectic plate caps. However, there are a few factors to consider before making the substitution.

Firstly, it is important to ensure that the ceramic caps are rated for the same voltage and capacitance as the suggested caps. This is crucial for the proper functioning of the laser. Additionally, the size and shape of the ceramic caps should be suitable for the laser setup and not cause any interference.

Furthermore, while ceramic caps may have lower losses compared to aluminum foil/plastic dialectic plate caps, they may also have higher self-resonant frequencies which can affect the performance of the laser. It would be beneficial to do some research or experimentation to determine if the ceramic caps would be a suitable replacement in terms of overall performance.

As for using HV doorknob caps, it is possible to use them as well, but again, make sure they are rated for the appropriate voltage and capacitance. It may also be helpful to consider the physical size and shape of the caps and how they will fit into the laser setup.

In conclusion, while it is possible to substitute the suggested caps with strontium titanate ceramic or HV doorknob caps, it is important to carefully consider the specifications and potential effects on the laser's performance. I wish you all the best with your project and hope it is a success.

Best,

1. What is a TEA nitrogen laser?

A TEA nitrogen laser is a type of pulsed gas laser that uses a high-voltage electrical discharge to excite nitrogen molecules and produce laser light. It is commonly used in scientific research and industrial applications.

2. Why would a capacitor substitution be necessary for a TEA nitrogen laser?

Capacitor substitution may be necessary if the original capacitors in a TEA nitrogen laser become damaged or inoperable. These components are crucial for storing and discharging the high-voltage electrical energy needed to power the laser.

3. How do I know which capacitors to substitute in a TEA nitrogen laser?

The specific capacitors needed for substitution will depend on the make and model of the TEA nitrogen laser. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines for the appropriate replacement capacitors.

4. Can any type of capacitor be used as a substitute?

No, it is important to use capacitors with similar characteristics to the original ones in a TEA nitrogen laser. This includes factors such as capacitance, voltage rating, and pulse discharge capabilities. Using incompatible capacitors can result in the laser malfunctioning or causing damage.

5. Is it necessary to have prior experience with lasers to perform a capacitor substitution?

It is highly recommended to have prior experience and knowledge of lasers before attempting a capacitor substitution. Working with high-voltage electrical components can be dangerous and should only be done by trained professionals. It is best to consult a qualified technician or the manufacturer for assistance.

Back