Capacitor Voltage breakdown calculations

In summary, the problem involves determining the breakdown voltage for tantalum and a ceramic disk, given their respective dielectric strengths and the fact that air can only handle a maximum of 3V/micro meter. The technique for solving this problem is unclear, but it may involve using the Paschen curve and considering the E-field ratios determined by the dielectric strengths.
hadronboy

Homework Statement

This is a general problem i have been having but if you are given the relative dielectric strength of a material, (take air, 1.00058986), i have then been told it can only handle a maximum of 3V/micro meter. i have then been given a question a asking what is the breakdown voltage of tantalum, (27) and a ceramic disk (1,000 - 10,000). I am unsure how to work this out

Homework Equations

unsure what to use

The Attempt at a Solution

tried permitivity equations but nothing really worked, i first trying to work out the air example so that i then know the procedure to work out the others

Physics news on Phys.org
hadronboy said:

Homework Statement

This is a general problem i have been having but if you are given the relative dielectric strength of a material, (take air, 1.00058986), i have then been told it can only handle a maximum of 3V/micro meter. i have then been given a question a asking what is the breakdown voltage of tantalum, (27) and a ceramic disk (1,000 - 10,000). I am unsure how to work this out

Homework Equations

unsure what to use

The Attempt at a Solution

tried permitivity equations but nothing really worked, i first trying to work out the air example so that i then know the procedure to work out the others

I'm not understanding the technique that they are asking you to use...

For air, you start with the Paschen curve (breakdown versus pressure for gasses):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

You might check on the curve at atmospheric pressure to verify the 3V/um number you were given.

But I don't see how simply ratioing with dielectric constant will give you the insulator breakdowns. That certainly tells you how the E-field ratios, but I'm doubtful that it's just E-field that determines the breakdown. Unless they just want you to use that as a simplification...

1. How is capacitor voltage breakdown calculated?

The voltage breakdown of a capacitor is calculated by dividing the maximum voltage that the capacitor can withstand by the maximum voltage that is applied to the capacitor during operation. This is known as the voltage breakdown ratio and is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. What factors affect the voltage breakdown of a capacitor?

The voltage breakdown of a capacitor is affected by the dielectric strength of the material used in the capacitor, as well as the physical size and shape of the capacitor. Other factors that may affect voltage breakdown include temperature, humidity, and the presence of impurities in the capacitor material.

3. How do you determine the maximum voltage that a capacitor can withstand?

The maximum voltage that a capacitor can withstand is typically listed on the capacitor's datasheet. This value is determined through testing and is known as the rated voltage. It is important to note that this is the maximum voltage that the capacitor can withstand under ideal conditions, and may vary in real-world applications.

4. What are the consequences of a voltage breakdown in a capacitor?

If a capacitor experiences a voltage breakdown, it can result in permanent damage to the capacitor and may also cause damage to the surrounding circuitry. This can lead to circuit malfunction or failure, and may also pose safety risks.

5. How can the voltage breakdown of a capacitor be prevented?

The voltage breakdown of a capacitor can be prevented by ensuring that the maximum voltage rating of the capacitor is not exceeded during operation. This can be achieved by using capacitors with appropriate voltage ratings for the specific application, and by implementing proper circuit design and protection measures.