Calculate Capillary Depression of Mercury in Glass Tube

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression to calculate the capillary depression of mercury in a glass tube, taking into account factors such as contact angle, surface tension, tube diameter, and density of mercury. The derived equation gives a negative value for 'h', which is the height of the mercury above the base of the tube. This negative value makes sense as the meniscus of mercury is depressed within the capillary. The concept of capillary depression is also explained in relation to the height of the liquid in a narrow tube compared to the surrounding liquid.
v_pino

Homework Statement

Given the following information, derive and expression to calculate the capillary depression of mercury in a glass tube given that:

Contact angle = 140 degrees
Surface tension 'Gamma' = 0.476 Nm^-1
Tube diameter = 1.0mm
Density of mercury 'rho' = 13.58x10^3 kgm^-3 (ie. >> 'rho_0')

Homework Equations

I've derived the following equation for capillary, which I think is correct:

[tex]
h=\frac{2\gamma cos \theta}{g(\rho -\rho_0)R}
[/tex]

So 'h' is the height of the mercury above the base of the tube.

The Attempt at a Solution

But this gives me h= -1.095x10^-5 m. This doesn't seem like a correct value for 'h' even if I take it as possible, because it's even smaller than the tube diameter.

Also, the equation was derived by taking 'h' as the height from base to bottom of meniscus. I'm guessing the capillary depression is the distance between the bottom of the meniscus and the maximum height of the fluid (ie. radius of the meniscus). How do I calculate this using the equation I derived? I can only get 'h'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you measured h relative to the base of the meniscus and mercury is depressed within the capillary, the negative makes sense, although I think the result is more negative than the number you got.

v_pino said:
So 'h' is the height of the mercury above the base of the tube.
It's not, in general, the height above the base of the tube. It's the height above where it would have been were there no surface tension. E.g. if you push a narrow tube down into the surface of a wide reservoir of liquid, it tells you how much higher the level will be inside the tube than outside.
it's even smaller than the tube diameter.
Why does that bother you? The narrower the tube the bigger the effect.

I would first check the units of all the values given and make sure they are consistent. In this case, it seems like the units for surface tension and density are in SI units, while the units for tube diameter are in millimeters. This could be causing an error in the calculation.

I would also double check the derivation of the equation for capillary depression to make sure all the variables and assumptions are correct.

Assuming that the units are corrected, the equation you have derived should give the correct value for the capillary depression. However, as you have mentioned, this value might be smaller than the tube diameter. In this case, it is possible that the mercury will not form a complete meniscus and the equation may not be applicable. In this case, it might be necessary to use a different equation or to make some assumptions about the shape of the meniscus.

To calculate the distance between the bottom of the meniscus and the maximum height of the fluid, you can use the equation:

h = R - Rcos(theta)

Where R is the radius of the tube and theta is the contact angle. This equation assumes a circular meniscus. However, if the meniscus is not circular, more complex equations may be needed to calculate the distance.

Overall, it is important to double check all the values and equations used, and to make sure they are applicable to the specific situation. If there are any doubts, it is always best to consult with a colleague or a mentor for clarification.

1. What is capillary depression?

Capillary depression is the decrease in the height of a liquid in a narrow tube when compared to its level in a wider container.

2. How is capillary depression calculated?

Capillary depression can be calculated using the formula h = 2γcosθ/ρgr, where h is the depression, γ is the surface tension of the liquid, θ is the contact angle, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the tube.

3. What is the contact angle in capillary depression?

The contact angle is the angle at which the liquid meets the surface of the tube. It is determined by the intermolecular forces between the liquid and the tube's material.

4. Why is mercury commonly used in calculating capillary depression?

Mercury is commonly used in capillary depression experiments because it has a high surface tension and a low contact angle, making it a good model liquid for studying capillary phenomena.

5. What factors can affect the capillary depression of mercury in a glass tube?

The capillary depression of mercury in a glass tube can be affected by factors such as the diameter of the tube, temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities on the surface of the tube.