Capturing Orion and Comet Lovejoy in Arizona: A Journey Through Astrophotography

In summary, the conversation discusses two images captured during a trip to Arizona in February 2015. The first image is of Orion, shot with a Canon 550d camera and kit lens at 36mm. The second image is of Lovejoy, shot through a 6 inch newt and guided at ISO 800 for 300 seconds. The conversation also mentions the potential for highlighting Barnard's Loop in the Orion image with processing, and ends with compliments on the Lovejoy photo.
spark802
Captured these two images from my trip to Arizona Feb 2015. I shot Orion in wide=field as a piggyback on my scope set up...Canon 550d,f/5.0,436 secs,ISO3200, kit lens at 36mm.

For Lovejoy I shot through my 6 inch newt at ISO 800,for 300 secs guided.

IMG_9479 - Copy (2).jpg
LOVEJOY.jpg

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Astronomy news on Phys.org
nice pix :)

you are just starting to see Barnard's Loop in the Orion pic
with a little processing you could probably really make it stand out :smile:

great Lovejoy pic too

cheers
Dave

Likes spark802
davenn said:
nice pix :)

you are just starting to see Barnard's Loop in the Orion pic
with a little processing you could probably really make it stand out :smile:

great Lovejoy pic too

cheers
Dave

thanks Dave

the thing about my processing skills so far is I have a tendency of stretching it out too far and then do not know how to fix the background...I will keep trying though.thanks for the compliment :smile:

Likes davenn

1. What is Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2?

Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 refers to the conjunction of the constellation Orion and the comet Lovejoy Q2 in the night sky. A conjunction is when two celestial bodies appear close together in the sky from our perspective on Earth.

2. When can I see Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2?

The conjunction of Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 can be seen in the night sky from January to February of 2021. It will be visible in the northern hemisphere, in the direction of the constellation Orion, after sunset.

3. How close will Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 appear in the sky?

The distance between Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 will vary depending on the date and location, but they will appear close enough to be visible in the same field of view through a telescope or binoculars. However, they will not physically be close to each other, as Orion is a constellation in our own galaxy while comet Lovejoy Q2 is a temporary visitor from the outer solar system.

4. Can I see Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 with the naked eye?

Yes, it is possible to see Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 with the naked eye, as long as you have a clear and dark sky. However, using a telescope or binoculars will provide a better view of the conjunction.

5. What is the best way to view Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2?

The best way to view Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 is to find a dark and open area away from city lights. Use a telescope or binoculars to get a closer look at the conjunction. You can also use a star chart or astronomy app to help locate and identify the specific positions of Orion and comet Lovejoy Q2 in the night sky.

Back