Car Collision: Help Solve Velocity Before Impact

In summary, a right angle collision between a truck and a car has occurred, resulting in a 5 cm dent in the truck and a 100 cm collapse in the car. The driver sustained a bruise on her head and major neck and belt lacerations, indicating an impact between 20 through 25 g. The goal is to determine the velocity of the car before impact using conservation of momentum and kinematics equations. Acceleration ranges from -196 m/s^2 to -245 m/s^2 and displacement is 1.05 m. Further calculations are needed to determine the maximum and minimum velocity of the car before impact.
nhi_nhi017
Car Collision. Please Help ASAP!

Sistuation: There is a right angle collision with a truck and a car. The front of the car collides with the side of the truck. I am given these numbers. The truck has a 5 cm dent, and the car collapsed a total of 100 cm. I know the mass of the truck and the car. I am given the driver injuries. There is a bruise on her head, and she suffered from major neck and belt laceration. The doctor said that these injuries can only result from an impact ranging between 20 through 25 g. My goal is to figure out the velocity of the car before impact.

So far: I know conservation of momentum comes into play. I think Delta V as comes into play but I am having a difficult time calculating this since it is broken up in components. I need some help starting this problem. Could energy equivalent Speed, delta v, barrier equivalent velocity or any of those help me. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP QUICKKKKKKKKKKKKKk.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is basically a kinematics problem rather than a collision one. Let the velocity of car before collision be u. Final velocity is zero. Acceleration (retardation) is 20g = -196 m/s^2 (min) and 25g = -245 m/s^2 (max). Displacement = Dent in the truck + collapse in the car = 105 cm = 1.05 m. Apply appropriate kinematic equation to determine u (max) and u (min).

I understand your urgency in solving this problem and providing assistance. Let's break down the information that we have and see how we can approach the calculation of the car's velocity before impact.

Firstly, we know that the car collapsed a total of 100 cm upon impact. From this, we can infer that the car experienced a significant amount of force during the collision. This force is what caused the car to collapse and resulted in the driver's injuries. We can also assume that the truck experienced a similar amount of force, as evidenced by the 5 cm dent.

Next, we know the mass of both the truck and the car. This is important because it allows us to use the principle of conservation of momentum to calculate the velocity of the car before impact. According to this principle, the total momentum before the collision should be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

Now, let's consider the injuries sustained by the driver. The doctor mentioned that these injuries can only result from an impact ranging between 20 through 25 g. This means that the force experienced by the driver was equivalent to 20-25 times the force of gravity. This information can be useful in determining the velocity of the car before impact.

To calculate the velocity, we can use the equation: momentum = mass x velocity. Since the total momentum before and after the collision should be equal, we can set up the equation as follows:

(mass of truck x velocity of truck) + (mass of car x velocity of car) = 0

We know the mass of the truck and the car, but we need to find the velocities. To do this, we can use the information about the injuries sustained by the driver. The force experienced by the driver was 20-25 times the force of gravity, which we can convert to Newtons (1 g = 9.8 m/s^2). This gives us a range of 196-245 Newtons.

We can now use the equation for force (F = mass x acceleration) to solve for the velocity of the car. Rearranging the equation, we get: velocity = force/mass. Plugging in the range of force and the mass of the car, we get a range of velocities between 39.2-49 m/s.

This gives us an estimated range for the velocity of the car before impact. To narrow down the range and get a more accurate answer, we can use additional information such

1. What is a car collision?

A car collision, also known as a car accident, is an event in which two or more vehicles collide with each other.

2. How is velocity before impact calculated?

Velocity before impact is calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance.

3. How can velocity before impact be determined after a car collision?

Velocity before impact can be determined by analyzing the damage caused to the vehicles involved in the collision and using mathematical equations to calculate the speed and direction of the vehicles before impact.

4. What factors can affect the velocity before impact in a car collision?

Factors such as the speed and direction of the vehicles, the weight and size of the vehicles, road conditions, and weather conditions can all affect the velocity before impact in a car collision.

5. Why is it important to determine the velocity before impact in a car collision?

Determining the velocity before impact in a car collision is important for understanding the severity of the collision and determining the cause. It can also help with making improvements to vehicle safety and preventing future accidents.