Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car security chips can be cracked

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Looks like it's time to get back to the old "club" anti theft device of yesteryears.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1293334.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Haven't you seen "Gone in 60 Seconds?" Just remove the steering wheel with the club attached.

[edit] Should have read the quote.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  4. Feb 1, 2005 #3

If they're serious enough to remove the steering wheel and replace it, then there isn't much you can do to stop them from taking the car.

5. Feb 1, 2005 #4
    Removing the steering wheel from the car and replacing it sounds very time consuming to me. I doubt the effectiveness of this in practice, nor have I heard any news of a carjacker attempting it.

6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

Probably because is either very effective, or no one does it.

7. Feb 2, 2005 #6
    If no one's attempting it then that doesn't sound it would be effective then. Plus the carjacker would have to take into account that he has to bring his own steering wheel to replace it with. And if it doesn't fit the car he would be surrounded before he has the time to finish.

I only saw it in the movie and only took a couple of seconds for Nicholas Cage to pry it out, he must be really that good.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  8. Feb 2, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If your a professional car thief and going for the top exotic cars you probably will study the car you want steal before you steal it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?