Car test, and vibrations problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different shock absorbents in cars and their effects on comfort. The graphs show the changes in car height when passing over a bump, with the normal state being y=0. The third car has the best shock absorbent as it returns to its original state quickly, while the first car experiences violent vibrations. The second car provides a compromise between the two, ensuring a smooth transition. It is noted that changes in acceleration are felt as unpleasant, making case 3 the best option.
Mohamed BOUCHAKOUR

Homework Statement

in tests to choose the most comfortable shock absorbents, 3 cars are used, with the same mass "m", and the same springs, but different shock absorbents. the graphs show the changes in car height when passing over a bump (y=0 being the normal state of the car).
9.png

-Witch car has the best shock absorbent?
(P.S: I'm not sure if I've got the correct translation for "shock absorbents", but i hope you'll get what i mean)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as i know, it's the changes in motion that cause discomfort not the movement itself, so, for the 3rd car, it returns almost immediately to it's original state, and for the 1st it vibrates violently, so both would be quite bad.
as for the 2nd, it's a compromise between the two, it ensures a smooth transition to the normal state.

i don't know if it's the correct answer, or I completely missed the point.

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
Changes in acceleration (jerk) are felt as unpleasant, constant acceleration is a smaller issue.
2 or 3 - hard to tell, I guess 2 is better. 3 will be very bad initially, while 2 has some bouncing later.

Case 1 corresponds to shocks which are worn out and if driven over a road with a periodic contour could result in a loss of control. I experienced this on the old bridge across Biloxi Bay which was later destroyed by Katrina. Case 2 represents shocks with a bit of wear. Case 3 is a case of critical damping or new shocks which give the best ride.

Likes scottdave

What is a car test?

A car test is a thorough inspection and evaluation of a vehicle's performance, safety, and overall condition. It typically involves driving the car on various road conditions and using diagnostic tools to check for any issues or potential problems.

What are vibrations in a car and why are they a problem?

Vibrations in a car refer to the shaking or trembling felt while driving. They can be caused by various factors such as unbalanced tires, faulty suspension, or engine problems. Vibrations are a problem because they can affect the handling and stability of the car, and can also be a sign of underlying mechanical issues that need to be addressed.

How can vibrations in a car be diagnosed?

To diagnose vibrations in a car, a mechanic will usually perform a road test to feel the vibrations firsthand. They may also use diagnostic tools such as a wheel balancing machine or an engine analyzer to pinpoint the source of the vibrations. In some cases, a visual inspection may also be necessary to identify any visible issues.

What are the common causes of vibrations in a car?

Some common causes of vibrations in a car include unbalanced or misaligned tires, worn out suspension components, damaged or worn out engine mounts, and faulty or dirty spark plugs. Other potential causes could include issues with the drivetrain, exhaust system, or wheel bearings.

How can vibrations in a car be fixed?

The specific solution for fixing vibrations in a car will depend on the underlying cause. In most cases, it will involve replacing or repairing the affected parts. For example, if the vibrations are caused by unbalanced tires, they may need to be rebalanced or replaced. It is important to have a professional mechanic diagnose and fix the issue to ensure it is properly resolved.