Cardinality of Sets: Solve Problems for Varsity Club

In summary, there are 67 members in a varsity club if $n\left(F\right)\,=\,25,\,n\left(B\right)\,=\,12,\,n\left(T\right)\,=\,30$.
bergausstein
i have solved these problem just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

1. Say the football team F, the basketball team B, and the track team T, decide to form a varsity club V. how many members will V have if $n\left(F\right)\,=\,25,\,n\left(B\right)\,=\,12,\,n\left(T\right)\,=\,30$ and no person belongs to two teams?

Solution. $n\left(F\right)+n\left(B\right)+n\left(T\right)\,=\,67$ there's no possibility of overlap.

a. If in problem 1, $n\left(F\cap T\right)\,=\,6$ but there are no members of B who are in F or T then what is $n\left(V\right)$?

Solution. since there are six persons who belong to T and F i will subtract 6 from 67 which is 61.

b. If in problem 1.a $n\left(F\cap T\right)\,=\,6$, $n\left(T\cap B\right)\,=\,4$ and $n\left(F\cap B\right)\,=\,0$ then what is $n\left(V\right)$?

Solution. there are now 10 persons that belong to two teams i will subtract these number from 67 and I will have 57.

c. if in problem 1.b $n\left(F\cap T\right)\,=\,6$, $n\left(T\cap B\right)\,=\,4$ and $n\left(F\cap B\right)\,=\,3$, and there are 2 three letter men that is $n\left(F\cap B\cap T\right)\,=\,2$, then what is $n\left(V\right)$?

in part C i don't understand the part where it say "there are 2 three letter men".

but this is what i Tried. there are now 13 persons who belong to two teams and 2 persons who are member of the three teams. 67-15 = 54-2 = 52.

please check if my answers were correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with 1, 1a and 1b.

bergausstein said:
c. if in problem 1.b $n\left(F\cap T\right)\,=\,6$, $n\left(T\cap B\right)\,=\,4$ and $n\left(F\cap B\right)\,=\,3$, and there are 2 three letter men that is $n\left(F\cap B\cap T\right)\,=\,2$, then what is $n\left(V\right)$?

in part C i don't understand the part where it say "there are 2 three letter men".
As the problem says, "there are 2 three letter men" means $n\left(F\cap B\cap T\right)=2$.

bergausstein said:
but this is what i Tried. there are now 13 persons who belong to two teams and 2 persons who are member of the three teams. 67-15 = 54-2 = 52.
According to the inclusion–exclusion principle,\[|A \cup B \cup C| = |A| + |B| + |C| - |A \cap B| - |A \cap C| - |B \cap C| + |A \cap B \cap C|\]Therefore, you should add 2 instead of subtracting it.

does this ($n\left(F\cap B\cap T\right)$) mean that there are two persons who are member of the three teams? my thought process is like this: I don't want to count those 2 persons twice in the union that's why i subtracted it from the cardinality of union the three finite sets. like what i did with the 13 persons who are members of 2 two teams. please enlighten me further. thanks.

bergausstein said:
does this ($n\left(F\cap B\cap T\right)$) mean that there are two persons who are member of the three teams?
No, $n(F\cap B\cap T)=2$ means that.

bergausstein said:
my thought process is like this: I don't want to count those 2 persons twice in the union that's why i subtracted it from the cardinality of union the three finite sets. like what i did with the 13 persons who are members of 2 two teams.
When you added $|F|+|B|+|T|$, you counted elements of $F\cap B\cap T$ three times. Then, when you subtracted $|F\cap B|$, $|F\cap T|$ and $|B\cap T|$, you subtracted elements of $F\cap B\cap T$ also three times because those 2 elements occur in each of the three intersections. As a result, they still need to be counted once.

:) thanks you're such a help!

Related to Cardinality of Sets: Solve Problems for Varsity Club

1. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements or objects in that set. It represents the size or quantity of the set.

2. How is the cardinality of a set determined?

The cardinality of a set can be determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the set. For example, if a set contains the elements 2, 5, and 9, its cardinality would be 3.

3. What is the cardinality of an empty set?

The cardinality of an empty set, also known as the null set, is 0. This means that there are no elements in the set.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite sets?

A finite set is a set that has a specific, finite number of elements. An infinite set, on the other hand, has an unlimited number of elements.

5. How does cardinality relate to Venn diagrams?

Venn diagrams are graphical representations of sets and their cardinalities. The size of each circle in the Venn diagram corresponds to the cardinality of the set it represents. The overlapping region of the circles represents the cardinality of the intersection of the sets.