Can I Pursue a Civil Engineering Career with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics?

In summary, it is possible for the speaker to pursue a civil engineering degree after obtaining a B.S. in applied math. Many universities offer bridge programs specifically for non-engineering students, which may require additional courses and an internship or research experience. The speaker's rigorous program should also help prepare them for the graduate program, but they may need to take a few additional classes before applying.
Joya
Hey Everyone!
I’m new here so I’d appreciate some help
Well I’m in a dilemma, I struggled so much to choose a career path and I’m still indecisive but I’m pretty sure that I want to become an engineer specifically civil or environmental, I’d like to contribute in something for my society in the future. The idea of realizing projects and seeing the results gets me all excited.
Right now I feel like I’m far away from achieving my goal.. I’m an applied maths/statistics major, I don’t want to teach math, I don’t want to work in programming or the financial sector, cause these makes me miserable… I have a job in an IT company, it never gets me excited for anything, the only thing I get excited about is the pay check.. I spend my day observing people coding for 7 hours hating their lives...
Unfortunately I chose this major a year ago and I can’t afford transferring to another university for engineering
So my main question is there a chance for me to get into civil engineering in grad school? After obtaining a B.S in applied math? What are my options after such bachelor?
I hope that I don’t have to start all over again.
By the way the program in my university is pretty rigorous, I took 2 classes of phys last year and I expect a lot of probabilities, parametric and differential equations in fall semester…

PS: I don't live in the states.. excuse my english

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to get into a civil engineering program after obtaining a B.S. in applied math. Many universities have bridge programs that are specifically designed for students with a non-engineering background who want to pursue a graduate degree in engineering. Depending on the university, the bridge program may require additional courses that focus on engineering topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. The bridge program may also require an internship or research experience in an engineering field. Additionally, you may need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to gain admission into the graduate program. In terms of your current education, the rigorous program should help prepare you for the graduate program since many of the topics you will study in engineering are related to the math classes you are taking now. However, you may need to take a few additional classes (such as the ones mentioned above) before applying to the graduate program. Good luck!

FAQ: Can I Pursue a Civil Engineering Career with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics?

What major should I choose for my career?

The first step in choosing a major for your career is to identify your interests and strengths. Consider taking career assessments or speaking with a career counselor to help guide your decision. It's also important to research the job market and potential career paths for the major you are considering.

Should I choose a major based on potential salary?

While salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the only factor in choosing a major. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will increase your chances of success and job satisfaction in the long run.

Is it okay to change my major?

It is perfectly normal to change your major, especially if you realize that your current major is not the right fit for you. It's important to carefully consider your options and seek guidance from academic advisors before making a decision to change your major.

What can I do with a specific major?

Many majors offer a wide range of career opportunities, and it's important to research and understand the potential career paths for the major you are interested in. You can also network with professionals in your desired field or speak with a career counselor for more information.

Will my major determine my career path?

Your major does not necessarily determine your career path, as many skills and experiences can be transferable between different industries and job roles. It's important to gain a variety of experiences and skills through internships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities to increase your chances of success in any career path.

Back