1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Career Change - Engg to Physics in India

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm a strange case...I've done my graduation in B.E. (Comp Sc) with 59.9% aggregate marks and then an MBA from a good institute in India. I've been working for the past year but I've realised that I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics and ultimately do research in Physics in an American university. I've done a bit of searching and found that the MSc course in IIT requires 2 years of Physics which I didn't do in my Engg... So, are there any other good universities in India where I can get admission based on an entrance exam and where my B.E. degree will qualify me for the course? OR, is there an American university where I can do an MS in Physics with admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    Have you looked at IISc or BARC? But let me say well done man, go for it. Seek the happiness.

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    If you have done BE, you are eligible for the entrance for M.Sc from IIT.

5. Jun 20, 2008 #4
    Can you tell me how you can be sure? Because I checked the JAM website and it says for an MSc in Physics I need to have 4 semesters of Physics - and I only had 2 in Engg. Do you know anyone who's been accepted in the MSc Physics program with a BE degree?

6. Jun 21, 2008 #5
    Best way to confirm is by calling the IIT office itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?