• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Career Change - Engg to Physics in India

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone,

I'm a strange case...I've done my graduation in B.E. (Comp Sc) with 59.9% aggregate marks and then an MBA from a good institute in India. I've been working for the past year but I've realised that I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics and ultimately do research in Physics in an American university. I've done a bit of searching and found that the MSc course in IIT requires 2 years of Physics which I didn't do in my Engg... So, are there any other good universities in India where I can get admission based on an entrance exam and where my B.E. degree will qualify me for the course? OR, is there an American university where I can do an MS in Physics with admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test?

Answers and Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm a strange case...I've done my graduation in B.E. (Comp Sc) with 59.9% aggregate marks and then an MBA from a good institute in India. I've been working for the past year but I've realised that I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics and ultimately do research in Physics in an American university. I've done a bit of searching and found that the MSc course in IIT requires 2 years of Physics which I didn't do in my Engg... So, are there any other good universities in India where I can get admission based on an entrance exam and where my B.E. degree will qualify me for the course? OR, is there an American university where I can do an MS in Physics with admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test?
Have you looked at IISc or BARC? But let me say well done man, go for it. Seek the happiness.

If you have done BE, you are eligible for the entrance for M.Sc from IIT.

If you have done BE, you are eligible for the entrance for M.Sc from IIT.
Can you tell me how you can be sure? Because I checked the JAM website and it says for an MSc in Physics I need to have 4 semesters of Physics - and I only had 2 in Engg. Do you know anyone who's been accepted in the MSc Physics program with a BE degree?

Best way to confirm is by calling the IIT office itself.