Career Help for PCM Students in Class 10th

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career Pcm
In summary, the conversation is about a student named Sankalp who is in class 10 and is considering a career in engineering with a focus on Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. They are discussing the importance of practice of numericals and good theoretical understanding in entrance exams. They also discuss if it is necessary to study extra material beyond the course and the trick to solving numericals. The expert recommends starting with NCERT books and not putting too much pressure on oneself at a young age. They also mention the importance of developing problem-solving skills in higher classes.
sankalpmittal
Hey , I am Sankalp in class 10th , 14 years . I have been thinking of carrier in Physics , chemistry and maths , especially engineering . Which is of more importance in carrier by giving entrance examinations : Practice of numericals or good analytical research oriented theoretical concepts .In class / year 10 , is it necessary for me to study something extra , beyond the course , which I always do , or to clear only basic concepts written in course and do extra and tough numericals ?

Secondly what's the trick to solve numericals ? Is it necessary that theoretical concepts and numericals are highly interrelated ?

I have good theory part in Physics , chemistry and maths beyond course but I am presently not laying much emphasis on numericals . Is this going to be harmful to me in future ?Thanks in advance . :)

Physics news on Phys.org
sankalpmittal said:
Hey , I am Sankalp in class 10th , 14 years . I have been thinking of carrier in Physics , chemistry and maths , especially engineering . Which is of more importance in carrier by giving entrance examinations : Practice of numericals or good analytical research oriented theoretical concepts .

In class / year 10 , is it necessary for me to study something extra , beyond the course , which I always do , or to clear only basic concepts written in course and do extra and tough numericals ?

Secondly what's the trick to solve numericals ? Is it necessary that theoretical concepts and numericals are highly interrelated ?

I have good theory part in Physics , chemistry and maths beyond course but I am presently not laying much emphasis on numericals . Is this going to be harmful to me in future ?

Thanks in advance . :)

I recommend you that you start studying the NCERT books of Class 11th, if you have got a plenty of time. (I think you will get time since boards for 10th are removed)
If you start with Chemistry, i recommend you that after completing the first and second chapter, you buy a book which is by R C Mukherjee.

sankalpmittal said:
Hey , I am Sankalp in class 10th , 14 years . I have been thinking of carrier in Physics , chemistry and maths , especially engineering . Which is of more importance in carrier by giving entrance examinations : Practice of numericals or good analytical research oriented theoretical concepts .

Hi sankalp
If you want to do well in your entrance exams then problem solving skills are very important since they are usually problem oriented.In addition solving problems will help you to develop the concepts and will give an intuiton about the subject as well.

sankalpmittal said:
In class / year 10 , is it necessary for me to study something extra , beyond the course , which I always do , or to clear only basic concepts written in course and do extra and tough numericals ?

It depends in your interests and abilities,but I don't think its necessary.At this stage your priority should be to understand the coursework really well as it will be usefull in your higher classes.

sankalpmittal said:

There is no general trick.First try to understand the theory part and then solve as many problems as you can.

sankalpmittal said:
I have good theory part in Physics , chemistry and maths beyond course but I am presently not laying much emphasis on numericals . Is this going to be harmful to me in future ?

I think you are too young to solve many difficult problems so don't put yourself under much pressure.The next two years i.e. class 11th and 12th will be very important and that's where you will develop most of the problem solving skills.

Good luck.

Pranav-Arora said:
I recommend you that you start studying the NCERT books of Class 11th, if you have got a plenty of time. (I think you will get time since boards for 10th are removed)
If you start with Chemistry, i recommend you that after completing the first and second chapter, you buy a book which is by R C Mukherjee.

In ICSE , boards are still compulsory . Yes , NCERT is good . I have 10 subjects presently in class 10th , and have to look at all of them .

tenchotomic said:
Hi sankalp
If you want to do well in your entrance exams then problem solving skills are very important since they are usually problem oriented.In addition solving problems will help you to develop the concepts and will give an intuiton about the subject as well.

It depends in your interests and abilities,but I don't think its necessary.At this stage your priority should be to understand the coursework really well as it will be usefull in your higher classes.

There is no general trick.First try to understand the theory part and then solve as many problems as you can.

I think you are too young to solve many difficult problems so don't put yourself under much pressure.The next two years i.e. class 11th and 12th will be very important and that's where you will develop most of the problem solving skills.

Good luck.

Ok, your reply is con-curable .

:smile:

Hello Sankalp,

First of all, congratulations on thinking about your future career at such a young age. It shows that you are a motivated and driven student. I can tell you that a career in physics, chemistry, and maths can be both challenging and rewarding. It's great that you have a specific interest in engineering, as these subjects are the foundation for many engineering fields.

To answer your first question, both practice of numericals and good analytical research-oriented theoretical concepts are important for a successful career in these subjects. In order to excel in entrance examinations, you need to have a strong understanding of both theoretical concepts and the ability to solve numerical problems. So, my advice would be to focus on both aspects equally and not neglect either one. It's important to have a well-rounded knowledge in all areas.

As for your second question, there is no one trick to solve numericals as each problem may require a different approach. However, having a strong understanding of theoretical concepts can help guide you in the right direction when solving numerical problems. So, it's important to have a good balance between both.

Lastly, it's great that you have a good understanding of theoretical concepts beyond the course material. However, it's also important to practice numericals regularly to ensure a strong foundation in problem-solving skills. Neglecting numericals may hinder your ability to perform well in exams and in your future career.

In conclusion, my advice would be to continue studying beyond the course material, but also make sure to practice numericals regularly. Both are important for a successful career in PCM fields. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What career options are available for PCM students in class 10th?

There are a variety of career options available for PCM students in class 10th. Some popular choices include engineering, medicine, architecture, research and development, data analysis, actuarial science, and teaching.

2. How can I decide which career is best for me as a PCM student in class 10th?

The best way to decide on a career as a PCM student in class 10th is to first identify your interests, strengths, and goals. Then, research different careers and their requirements, talk to professionals in those fields, and consider taking career aptitude tests to get a better understanding of which path may be a good fit for you.

3. Are there any specific skills or subjects I should focus on as a PCM student in class 10th?

While there is no one set of skills or subjects that every PCM student in class 10th should focus on, it is generally recommended to have a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills can be beneficial for a variety of careers.

4. What are some resources that can help me with career guidance as a PCM student in class 10th?

There are many resources available to help PCM students in class 10th with career guidance. Your school's career guidance counselor, online career assessment tools, informational interviews with professionals, and internships or job shadowing experiences can all provide valuable insights and guidance.

5. Is it necessary to pursue higher education after class 10th as a PCM student?

While it is not necessary to pursue higher education after class 10th as a PCM student, it is highly recommended to do so in order to have more career opportunities and advancement. A bachelor's degree in a related field is often required for many careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.