1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career help in PCM

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    Hey , I am Sankalp in class 10th , 14 years . I have been thinking of carrier in Physics , chemistry and maths , especially engineering . Which is of more importance in carrier by giving entrance examinations : Practice of numericals or good analytical research oriented theoretical concepts .

In class / year 10 , is it necessary for me to study something extra , beyond the course , which I always do , or to clear only basic concepts written in course and do extra and tough numericals ?

Secondly whats the trick to solve numericals ? Is it necessary that theoretical concepts and numericals are highly interrelated ?

I have good theory part in Physics , chemistry and maths beyond course but I am presently not laying much emphasis on numericals . Is this going to be harmful to me in future ?

Thanks in advance . :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    I recommend you that you start studying the NCERT books of Class 11th, if you have got a plenty of time. (I think you will get time since boards for 10th are removed)
    If you start with Chemistry, i recommend you that after completing the first and second chapter, you buy a book which is by R C Mukherjee.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Hi sankalp
    If you want to do well in your entrance exams then problem solving skills are very important since they are usually problem oriented.In addition solving problems will help you to develop the concepts and will give an intuiton about the subject as well.

It depends in your interests and abilities,but I don't think its necessary.At this stage your priority should be to understand the coursework really well as it will be usefull in your higher classes.

There is no general trick.First try to understand the theory part and then solve as many problems as you can.

I think you are too young to solve many difficult problems so don't put yourself under much pressure.The next two years i.e. class 11th and 12th will be very important and that's where you will develop most of the problem solving skills.

Good luck.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4
    In ICSE , boards are still compulsory . Yes , NCERT is good . I have 10 subjects presently in class 10th , and have to look at all of them .

Ok, your reply is con-curable .

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook