Career in Mechanical Drafting?

In summary, the conversation discussed the career path of Mechanical Drafting and its demand in the job market. It was mentioned that having skills in programs like Solidworks, Inventor, and ProE can increase the chances of finding a job in this field. However, some companies also prefer candidates to have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Overall, it was advised to research and consider all options before pursuing a career in Mechanical Drafting.
R/R
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone is or knows any Mechanical Drafters? I am trying to find out if it is a good career path. Also is there a demand for Mechanical Drafters or is work hard to find?

I am trying to explore some new career options. I was thinking I would maybe start out with Mechanical Drafting then later work up to a Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Thank you for any info or opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your understanding of programs like Solidworks, Inventor, and ProE. There are a lot of companies right now that really really want people that can use these programs well, if you can convince them that you are very savy in some of these programs then they might be willing to take you. I say "might" because a lot of companies want this person to also be an engineer so they can fill other roles as well. While there are plenty of companies that are looking for people you may have a hard time getting a job for this reason.

1. What is mechanical drafting?

Mechanical drafting is a process of creating detailed technical drawings and plans for mechanical systems and components. This includes using specialized software and tools to accurately depict the dimensions, materials, and specifications of various mechanical parts and assemblies.

2. What education and skills are required for a career in mechanical drafting?

Most employers require at least an associate's degree in mechanical drafting or a related field. Strong skills in mathematics, computer-aided design (CAD) software, and attention to detail are also essential for this career. Familiarity with industry standards and regulations is also beneficial.

3. What job opportunities are available for mechanical drafters?

Mechanical drafters can find employment in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, engineering, construction, and architecture. They can also work for government agencies, consulting firms, or as freelancers.

4. What is the average salary for a mechanical drafter?

The average salary for a mechanical drafter varies depending on experience, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical drafters was $57,960 in May 2020.

5. How is the job outlook for mechanical drafters?

The job outlook for mechanical drafters is expected to decline slightly in the coming years due to advancements in technology and the use of 3D modeling software. However, there will still be a demand for skilled drafters in industries such as manufacturing and engineering.