Career path: which to choose ?

In summary, the speaker is feeling emotional and unsure about their current job as a software engineer for a Belgium steel company. They are considering leaving their current profession for a new one and seeking advice from friends and others. They mention a potential job offer from another company, but are hesitant due to lower pay and a less friendly work environment. They are open to advice and comments from others.
canadianer555
I am emotional!
I am working as a software engineer for a Belgium steel company. Joining the industry as I see takes me far away from my area of expertise. Perhaps I am still unable to see it that much or it is likely that I am on the right track to take a leave of the current profession for a new one. There are people who know me really well, I know so. I would love to listen to their ideas as long as they don't pour in with more nuances and neutrality. Before that I would like to ask PFers also.
Another company pays me less money and they don't look as friendly as my current bosses. I suppose I would cry if my boss acts more gently on the day I say goodbye

I appreciate any of your advice and comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, did you studied software engineering in school and ended up in a job that's not related to it?

Or are you a software engineer working for that steel company but don't like the lack of career paths in it?

FAQ: Career path: which to choose ?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career path?

When choosing a career path, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. You should also research the job market and potential salary for your desired career to ensure it aligns with your expectations and needs.

2. How do I know which career is right for me?

There is no one right career for everyone, as each person's strengths and interests are unique. It can be helpful to explore different career options through internships, job shadowing, or informational interviews. You can also take career assessments to gain insight into your strengths and potential career matches.

3. Should I choose a career based on job availability or passion?

Ideally, your chosen career should be a balance between job availability and passion. It is important to have a passion for your work as it can lead to greater job satisfaction and motivation. However, it is also important to consider the job market and potential for growth and stability in your chosen field.

4. Is it possible to change career paths later in life?

Yes, it is possible to change career paths at any point in your life. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lifetime. It may require additional education or training, but it is never too late to pursue a new career that aligns with your interests and goals.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a career path?

There are many resources available to help you choose a career path, such as career counselors, career fairs, online job boards, and career development centers. You can also seek advice from family, friends, and professionals in your desired field. Additionally, career assessments and informational interviews can provide valuable insight into potential career options.