Carnot engine air conditioner

It should be the difference in temperature between the room and the outdoors, which is 20°F, not the absolute temperature of the outdoors. So the correct COP is actually 15.53.
noname1
A Carnot air conditioner takes energy from the thermal energy of a room at 76°F and transfers it as heat to the outdoors, which is at 96°F. For each joule of electric energy required to operate the air conditioner, how many joules are removed from the room?

Attempt at problem

76 + 273 = 349
96 + 273 = 369

COP = energy removed / elec energy required

COP = 349 / (369 - 349) = 17.45

17.45 = energy removed / 1 Joule

the system is always saying that my answer is incorrect but i can't figure out what

Physics news on Phys.org
Your temperatures are in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, so you're converting them to absolute temperatures incorrectly. The rest looks okay, though.

shoot i didnt notice that but anyways converted now but the system still says i got the wrong answer

(5/9)(76-32) = 297.44
(5/9)(96-32) = 308.56

COP = energy removed / elec energy required

COP = 308.56 / (308.56 - 297.44) = 27.75

27.75 = energy removed / 1 Joule

i can't find out what's wrong

You're using the wrong temperature in the numerator.

i'm doing wrong

It is possible that your calculation for the coefficient of performance (COP) is incorrect. The COP is defined as the ratio of energy removed from the room to the energy required to operate the air conditioner. In this case, the energy removed from the room is the difference between the initial and final temperatures (369-349 = 20) and the energy required to operate the air conditioner is 1 joule. Therefore, the COP should be 20/1 = 20. This means that for every joule of electric energy required to operate the air conditioner, 20 joules of thermal energy are removed from the room.

1. What is a Carnot engine air conditioner?

A Carnot engine air conditioner is a type of refrigeration system that uses the principles of thermodynamics to provide cooling. It works by using a cycle of compression, condensation, expansion, and evaporation to remove heat from a space and transfer it outside.

2. How does a Carnot engine air conditioner work?

A Carnot engine air conditioner uses a working fluid, typically a gas, to absorb heat from the space it is cooling. The fluid is compressed, which causes its temperature to rise. It then passes through a condenser, where it releases heat to the outside environment. The fluid then expands, causing its temperature to drop, and passes through an evaporator, where it absorbs heat from the space. The cycle then repeats, providing continuous cooling.

3. What are the advantages of using a Carnot engine air conditioner?

One advantage of using a Carnot engine air conditioner is its high efficiency. It is based on the Carnot cycle, which is the most efficient thermodynamic cycle possible. Additionally, since it does not use any chemical refrigerants, it is environmentally friendly.

4. What are the limitations of a Carnot engine air conditioner?

One limitation of a Carnot engine air conditioner is that it is not very practical for everyday use. It is a complex and expensive system, making it more suitable for large-scale industrial applications. Additionally, it requires a constant energy input to maintain the cooling process.

5. How does a Carnot engine air conditioner differ from other types of air conditioners?

A Carnot engine air conditioner differs from other types of air conditioners in its use of the Carnot cycle and lack of chemical refrigerants. Other types of air conditioners, such as vapor-compression and absorption systems, use different cycles and refrigerants to achieve cooling. Additionally, Carnot engine air conditioners are more energy efficient but less practical for everyday use compared to other types of air conditioners.