1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot Engine ~ Electric Generating station

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electric generating station is designed to have an electric output power of 1.4 MW using a turbine with two-thirds efficiency of a Carnot engine. The Exhaust energy is transfered by heat to a cooling tower at 110°C.

a) Find the rate at which the station exhausts energy by heat as a function of the fuel combustion temperature Th

2. Relevant equations

e= w/Qh=1-Qc/Qh , e_carnot=1-Tc/Th, P=W/t

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing i have been able to figure out so far is e=(2/3)(1-(Tc/Th) Where Tc=383K

I have been struggling with this one for quite some time and humbly asking for your help

The book lists the answer as Qc/Δt=1.4((.5Th+383)/(Th-383))
    I am so confused....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Book is right.

What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine as a function of Th and Tc? Then, what is actual Qh and therefore actual Qc? Hint: use 1st law.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #3
    I'm Sorry i'm still not following you....

Man I feel like an idot.. What am i missing?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  5. Feb 2, 2013 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the output power is 1.4 MW what is the rate at which energy is input? Hint: efficiency = output/input = (dW/dt)/(dQh/dt)

Once you get the rate of energy input, given the work output dW/dt = 1.4MW you can calculate the rate of exhaust energy Qc using W = Qh-Qc (i.e. dW/dt = dQh/dt - dQc/dt).

Since efficiency is a function of Th (Tc=110C) you will have a Th in your answer. Be sure to use the Kelvin scale for T.
    AM

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. Feb 2, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

<<What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine as a function of Th and Tc? Then, what is actual Qh and therefore actual Qc? Hint: use 1st law. >>Try to answer those two questions! The first is in your textbook. Call it e.

Then, what does the 1st law say? How about Qh = Qc + W?
    For your system, efficiency = 2e/3 = e' so write Qh in terms of W and e'( Th, Tc).
    Then, solve for Qc. Realize that the answer to your problem is dQc/dt which will be in terms of dW/dt = P = 1.4MW as well as Th and Tc.

I can say no more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook