Carnot function -- How can I prove f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0)

In summary, this function satisfies :If we have that quotient of heats ##Q_2/Q_1=f(t_2,t_1)##, where ##t_1,t_2## are emirical temperatures. Is this function satisfies :Yes, this function satisfies the equation :f(t_2,t_1) = f(t_2-t_1,0)
filip97
If we have that quotient of heats ##Q_2/Q_1=f(t_2,t_1)##, where ##t_1,t_2## are emirical temperatures. Is this function satisfies :

##f(t_2,t_1)=f(t_2-t_1,0)##

I try prove it with Taylor series of two variables, but i can't prove anything.

Science news on Phys.org
So you will have to try something else. Something thermodynamic involving ##Q##.

How ?

Check your notes and/or textbook. It is your exercise.

No, this is my intuitive thinking about empirical temperature scales because temperature is variable of interval type(levels of measurement).

filip97 said:
intuitive thinking
What is the context of your exercise? A curriculum on intuition, or something in termodynamics ?

I was reading Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi first they give this function ##\frac{Q_2}{Q_1}=f(t_2,t_1)=\frac{g(t_2)}{g(t_1)}##, where ##g## is monotone increasing function. Idea is if we have scales of temperature ##r,s## (monotone increasing), but and their inverses is also scales of empirical temperatures ##r^{-1},s^{-1}##. ##f(t_2,t_1)=f(s(t_2),s(t_1))##, because function ##f##, doesn't depend of scales, and depend only of temperatures (Carnot's theorem). If we has two objective temperature scales they must has homomorphism between scales, and they must be linear, because temperature is interval data e.g.

##s(t)=\alpha x+\beta, \alpha>0, \beta## is some parameter. I must pack properties that homomorphism is linear function between ##s## and ##r##. Let it be ##s(t_2-t_1)=s(t_2)-s(t_1)##

We have ##f(t_2,t_1)=f(t_2-t_1,0)=f(s(t_2-t_1),s(0))=f(s(t_2-t_1)-s(0),0)=f(s(t_2),s(t_1))=f(s(t_2)-s(t_1),0)\implies
s(t_2-t_1)-s(0)=s(t_2)-s(t_1)##, set ##t_2=t_1##, this is Caushy equation and this solution is ##s(t)=ct##. As I says
scale is and function ##F(t)=r(s^{-1}(t)),r(t_2-t_1)=r(t_2)-r(t_1), s(t_1)=x, s(t_2)=y\implies F(x-y)=F(x)-F(y) \implies F(x)=\alpha x+\beta##(Pfanzagl, Theory of Measurement, page 98)

Usually this calculation occurs in textbooks, where thermodynamics is inductively derived by analyzing thermodynamic cycles. Here one uses the 2nd Law of thermodynamics in the formulation that there cannot be a perpetuum mobile of the 2nd kind (Clausius, Planck).

A masterpiece is the textbook

R. Becker, Theory of Heat, Springer Verlag (1967)

Likes JD_PM and BvU

1. What is the Carnot function?

The Carnot function is a mathematical function used in thermodynamics to describe the efficiency of a Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that operates between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures.

2. How is the Carnot function used?

The Carnot function is used to calculate the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine operating between two temperatures. It is also used to analyze the efficiency of real-world thermodynamic systems and to compare them to the ideal Carnot cycle.

3. How is the Carnot function related to f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0)?

The equation f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0) is a mathematical representation of the Carnot function. It shows that the value of the Carnot function at two different temperatures (t2 and t1) is equal to the value of the function at the temperature difference (t2-t1) and the reference temperature of 0 degrees.

4. How can I prove f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0)?

The equation f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0) can be proven using the definition of the Carnot function, which is f(t2,t1)=1-(t1/t2). By substituting t2-t1 for t2 and 0 for t1, the equation becomes f(t2,t1)=1-((t2-t1)/t2), which is equal to f(t2,t1)=f(t2−t1,0).

5. Why is the Carnot function important in thermodynamics?

The Carnot function is important in thermodynamics because it provides a theoretical maximum efficiency for heat engines and serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real-world systems. It also helps to understand the relationship between temperature and energy in thermodynamic processes.