Cater physics degree to possible forensic career?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's interest in pursuing a career in forensic science, specifically in ballistics and explosives trace evidence. They were seeking guidance on how to tailor their physics degree to best prepare them for this career, including taking courses in biology, organic chemistry, classical mechanics, solid state physics, and optics. The conversation also touched on the requirements for the job, which include a bachelor's degree in a related field and one year of specialized experience. The student was advised to contact the FBI recruitment office for more information and potentially schedule an informational interview for further guidance.
ForensicPhysic
Cater physics degree to possible forensic career?

Hello, I am currently a California Community College student and hoping to major in physics/applied mathematics. I am interested in serving my country and having an exciting career. But I would like to keep a career centered around physics and mathematics.

I am interested in a few parts of forensic science including ballistics and explosives. Also, some sort of trace evidence (if anyone has watched bones, then kinda like hogkins job). I am very interested in joining the FBI and partaking in this sort of career.

I am looking to see how I can cater my degree to most prepare me for this sort of career. I am thinking of taking extra biology/ organic chemistry due to pure interest and potential to help? Also, I am not sure what sort of courses would most benefit myself. I assume classical mechanics would help the most and to take the most of that. Also, maybe solid state physics or something of the sort. Also, maybe something with optics?

I am also curious about what sort of graduate degree would be best for this? Condensed matter? I have no idea. Any guidance will be helpful.

Requirements for the job...

All applicants must possesses either (A) a bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in either biological science, physical science, engineering, or mathematics, that includes 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics; or (B) a combination of education and experience. Education must be equivalent to one of the majors listed in (A) above that include at least 24 semester hours in biological science, physical science, and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
All applicants must possesses one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest contacting the FBI recruitment office and asking them exactly the same question. Since you haven't transferred yet, this is a perfect time, because they might tell you about specific programs that focus on areas they like to see in recruits. Their guidance could really help you.

If possible, I'd even ask for an in-person informational interview. They might tell you more in person than in an email.

1. What courses should I take in college to prepare for a forensic career?

To prepare for a forensic career, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics. In addition, courses in forensic science, criminal justice, and statistics can also be beneficial.

2. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics for a forensic career?

Yes, you can specialize in a specific area of physics such as ballistics, trace evidence analysis, or crime scene reconstruction. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of all areas of physics in order to be successful in a forensic career.

3. Is it necessary to have a physics degree to work in forensics?

While a degree in physics is not always required for a forensic career, it can provide a strong foundation and make you a more competitive candidate. Many forensic laboratories also prefer candidates with a degree in a natural science or related field.

4. Will a physics degree limit my career options in forensics?

No, a physics degree will not limit your career options in forensics. In fact, it can open up opportunities in various areas such as crime scene investigation, forensic laboratory analysis, or research and development for new forensic techniques.

5. Are there any specific skills I should develop as a physics major for a forensic career?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles, it is important to develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work well under pressure. Communication and teamwork skills are also valuable in a forensic career.