1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy functions problem for Calculus II

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    So I've apparently been given an assignment on Cauchy functions (it says here on the title), but I have no idea what that means. Nevertheless, here's my attempt to solve this problem:

Given (1):
    [itex]f(x)=\frac{k}{\pi}\times\frac{1}{k^{2}+(x-\beta)^{2}}[/itex]

and (2):
    [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}=arg\ max_{\beta} (\frac{k}{\pi})^{N}\ \prod^{N}_{i=1}\frac{1}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2}}[/itex]

Describe the effect of k on (2) corresponding to (1) as shown here:http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2724/graphjz.th.jpg [Broken]. The function in (2) can be read as the values of β that would maximize the function in (1) or argument that would maximize (1).

I'm assuming that the question implies N=1 and hence k=1 for (2), and what [itex]arg\ max[/itex] means here is crudely what [itex]\beta[/itex] value would achieve the maximum point of the function. I'm convinced that [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex] is somehow related to [itex]{arg\ min}_{\beta} \sum^{N}_{i=1} |\beta-x_{i}|[/itex] hence [itex]x_{i}\approx\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex], since [itex]|\frac{1}{a}|<|\frac{1}{b}|[/itex] iff [itex]|a|>|b|[/itex] for all [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]a,b\not =0[/itex]; and that [itex]|a|<|a|+|b|[/itex] for all [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]b\not =0\ \Rightarrow\ b\rightarrow 0[/itex].

Here's where I'm stuck, I don't see how k could affect [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex], unless [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex] is affected by the maximum point of the function. So how is the maximum point related to [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex]?

EDIT: Added the complete question and changed (2). There's a typo in the equation. Sorry for not doing it earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What exactly is the question? Something like

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Is the question to actually find [itex]\hat{\beta_k}[/itex]?? In that case, I'd start by taking logarithms.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    The complete question reads like this: "Describe the effect of k on (2) corresponding to (1). The function in (2) can be read as the values of β that would maximize the function in (1) or argument that would maximize (1)."

There's an accompanying image:
    http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2724/graphjz.th.jpg [Broken]

From what I gather from this, I think it wants to find how k (not K) can change [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
    Major Update!

So I've spotted an error in the question, namely (2), which states k as a constant and a variable at the same time. I've reconciled this with my lecturer and it's confirmed that there's a misprint in the equation. (2) should actually look like this:
    [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}=arg\ max_{\beta} (\frac{k}{\pi})^{N}\ \prod^{N}_{i=1}\frac{1}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2}}[/itex]
    The difference is in the [itex]\prod^{N}_{i=1}[/itex].

I've changed post #1. Problem is I'm still stuck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. Jul 27, 2011 #5
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the figure attached seems to hint at [itex]K=max\ \{ (\frac{k}{\pi})^{N}\ \prod_{i=1}^{N}\ \frac{1}{k^2+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\}[/itex].

Then [itex]x_{i}\rightarrow\beta\ \Rightarrow K=(\frac{1}{k\pi})^{N}\ \Rightarrow k^{N}\propto \frac{1}{K}[/itex] and [itex]k\not = 0[/itex]. (I'm sure this is flawed; surely not all [itex]x_{i}\rightarrow\beta[/itex]. Is it possible to be more accurate?)

The image indicates that different [itex]K[/itex] do give about different [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex], but how? It does seem like it has something to do with the diferent values of [itex]\sqrt{|x_{i}-\hat{\beta}_{k}|^{2}+K^{2}}[/itex]... Perhaps something relating to [itex]arg\ min_{\beta}\ \sum_{i=1}^{N}\ \sqrt{|x_{i}-\beta|^{2}+K^{2}}[/itex] ?

I'm going about in circles.

EDIT: My lecturer says that one of the solutions involved the usage of Newton's Method. How I have the faintest idea.

EDIT2: The assumption is no longer k=1 in post #1, since we have changed (2). Can't edit my first post so I'll just post it here.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Jul 27, 2011 #6
    Lecturer revealed the solution:

[itex]\hat{\beta}_k=arg\ max_\beta\ \prod_{i=1}^{N}\ \frac{1}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2}}[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow \hat{\beta}_k=arg\ min_\beta\ \prod_{i=1}^{N}\ k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow \hat{\beta}_k=arg\ min_\beta\ \sum_{i=1}^{N}\ ln\ (k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2})[/itex]
    let [itex]g(\beta)=\sum_{i=1}^{N}\ ln\ [k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^{2}][/itex]
    since [itex]f(x)=g(x)+h(x) \Rightarrow f'(x)=g'(x)+h'(x)[/itex]
    then [itex]g'(\beta)=\sum_{i=1}^{N}\ \frac{-2(x_{i}-\beta)}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}[/itex]
    to find the critical point, [itex]g'(\beta)=0[/itex]
    hence [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{N}\ \frac{-2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\cdot (x_{i}-\beta)=0[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^{N}\ [\frac{-2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\cdot x_{i} - \frac{-2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\cdot \beta] = 0[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^{N}\ [\frac{2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\cdot \beta - \frac{2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta)^2}\cdot x_{i}] = 0[/itex]
    Using Newton's Method to approximate [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex],
    [itex]\hat{\beta}_{n+1}=\frac{\frac{2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta_{n})^2}\cdot x_{i}}{\frac{2}{k^{2}+(x_{i}-\beta_{n})^2}}[/itex].

I don't follow all of the steps, especially how step 2 implies step 3, and how the Newton's method is used here, but most among these confusion is how the cheese does the solution answer how [itex]k[/itex] affects [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex]? The solution only seems to find what [itex]\hat{\beta}_{k}[/itex] is...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook