1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Integral with absolute value in simple curve

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate using Cauchy Formula or Cauchy Theorem:

[tex]I=\oint_{|z+1|=2}\frac{z^2}{4-z^2} dz[/tex]

(From Complex Variables, Stephen Fisher (2nd Edition), Exercise 2.3.3)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(s)}{s-z} ds= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}f(z) & : z \in \gamma\\0 & : z \notin \gamma \end{array} [/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined as the interior of the simple closed curve described by the line integral.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]I = \oint_{|z+1| = 2} \frac{\left(\frac{z^2}{z-2}\right)}{z+2}} dz = 2\pi i (f(z)) = 2 \pi i[/tex]

Correct solution is [tex]2\pi i[/tex]

Question

I understand that [tex]f(z)=1[/tex] for this problem, but I don't know why. I tried drawing a graph of the function but I'm confused about the [tex]|z+1|=2[/tex] part. This says that [tex]z=1[/tex] or [tex]z=-3[/tex], but this doesn't seem to be a simple closed curve anymore.

I have singularities at [tex]z=\pm2[/tex] but I'm not sure which singularity is included in the line integral because I don't know how to draw the graph.

Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    |z+1|=2, means that it is a circle with center at (-1,0) and radius = 2 in the Argand plane.

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On the real line, |z+1|= 2 is true for z= 1 and z= -3 but the complex plane is a plane including points both above and below the real line. Geometrically |z- a| can be interpreted as distance from z to a in the complex plane and so the set of points, z, satisfying |z-a|= r is the set of points that have distance r from a: a circle with radius r and center a. The set of points, z, satisfying |z+1|= |z- (-1)|= 2 is the circle with center at -1 and radius 2. The real line is a diameter of that circle and z= 1 and z= -3 are the endpoints of that diameter.

If z= 2, then |z+ 1|= |2+ 1|= 3 which is outside the circle. If z= -2, then |z+ 1|= |-2+1|= 1 which in inside the circle.

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4
    Thank you! I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook