Cauchy Integral with absolute value in simple curve

In summary, the equation tells you that z=1 or z=-3, depending on where on the complex plane you are looking, but the problem is that there is no simple closed curve anymore. So, you need to use the Cauchy Theorem to integrate.
Bacat

Homework Statement

Integrate using Cauchy Formula or Cauchy Theorem:

[tex]I=\oint_{|z+1|=2}\frac{z^2}{4-z^2} dz[/tex]

(From Complex Variables, Stephen Fisher (2nd Edition), Exercise 2.3.3)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(s)}{s-z} ds= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}f(z) & : z \in \gamma\\0 & : z \notin \gamma \end{array} [/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined as the interior of the simple closed curve described by the line integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I = \oint_{|z+1| = 2} \frac{\left(\frac{z^2}{z-2}\right)}{z+2}} dz = 2\pi i (f(z)) = 2 \pi i[/tex]

Correct solution is [tex]2\pi i[/tex]

Question

I understand that [tex]f(z)=1[/tex] for this problem, but I don't know why. I tried drawing a graph of the function but I'm confused about the [tex]|z+1|=2[/tex] part. This says that [tex]z=1[/tex] or [tex]z=-3[/tex], but this doesn't seem to be a simple closed curve anymore.

I have singularities at [tex]z=\pm2[/tex] but I'm not sure which singularity is included in the line integral because I don't know how to draw the graph.

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacat said:
I'm confused about the [tex]|z+1|=2[/tex] part. This says that [tex]z=1[/tex] or [tex]z=-3[/tex], but this doesn't seem to be a simple closed curve anymore.

|z+1|=2, means that it is a circle with center at (-1,0) and radius = 2 in the Argand plane.

Bacat said:

Homework Statement

Integrate using Cauchy Formula or Cauchy Theorem:

[tex]I=\oint_{|z+1|=2}\frac{z^2}{4-z^2} dz[/tex]

(From Complex Variables, Stephen Fisher (2nd Edition), Exercise 2.3.3)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(s)}{s-z} ds= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}f(z) & : z \in \gamma\\0 & : z \notin \gamma \end{array} [/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined as the interior of the simple closed curve described by the line integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I = \oint_{|z+1| = 2} \frac{\left(\frac{z^2}{z-2}\right)}{z+2}} dz = 2\pi i (f(z)) = 2 \pi i[/tex]

Correct solution is [tex]2\pi i[/tex]

Question

I understand that [tex]f(z)=1[/tex] for this problem, but I don't know why. I tried drawing a graph of the function but I'm confused about the [tex]|z+1|=2[/tex] part. This says that [tex]z=1[/tex] or [tex]z=-3[/tex], but this doesn't seem to be a simple closed curve anymore.
On the real line, |z+1|= 2 is true for z= 1 and z= -3 but the complex plane is a plane including points both above and below the real line. Geometrically |z- a| can be interpreted as distance from z to a in the complex plane and so the set of points, z, satisfying |z-a|= r is the set of points that have distance r from a: a circle with radius r and center a. The set of points, z, satisfying |z+1|= |z- (-1)|= 2 is the circle with center at -1 and radius 2. The real line is a diameter of that circle and z= 1 and z= -3 are the endpoints of that diameter.

I have singularities at [tex]z=\pm2[/tex] but I'm not sure which singularity is included in the line integral because I don't know how to draw the graph.

Can someone help?
If z= 2, then |z+ 1|= |2+ 1|= 3 which is outside the circle. If z= -2, then |z+ 1|= |-2+1|= 1 which in inside the circle.

Thank you! I understand now.

What is the Cauchy Integral with absolute value in a simple curve?

The Cauchy Integral with absolute value in a simple curve is a mathematical concept used to evaluate complex integrals along a simple curve. It is based on the Cauchy Integral Theorem, which states that the integral of a complex-valued function over a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the curve.

What is a simple curve?

A simple curve is a continuous curve that does not intersect itself. It can be described as a single, non-overlapping path connecting two points.

What is the absolute value in a Cauchy Integral?

The absolute value in a Cauchy Integral refers to the modulus of a complex number. It is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane and is represented by the symbol |z|.

Why is the Cauchy Integral with absolute value important?

The Cauchy Integral with absolute value is important because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals along a simple curve without having to explicitly calculate the integral. It also has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are some examples of using the Cauchy Integral with absolute value in simple curves?

The Cauchy Integral with absolute value can be used to find the areas of regions bounded by curves, calculate the work done by a force along a path, and solve differential equations involving complex-valued functions, among other applications.